Just fyi - I dyed my carpet - it came out great

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Back in the day I bought a black carpet that after a few years started to turn a reddish color where the sun hit it. Cleaned it and then sprayed it with Duplicable black dye. That was at least 10 years ago and it's still 100% black.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
work well with plastic too! :)
How long have those panels been painted?
How much UV exposure and wear n tear?

IE how well is it holding up?

I’m going to paint/dye the “velour” looking door panel inserts and the bottom door panel carpet. But my plastic door panels and trim are in mostly great shape. Leaving some of the metal cab trim that needs painted because of rust spots but idk if it will match without doing all the pieces.
At the same time I don’t want to paint over nice stuff if it’s not going to last a long time.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
How long have those panels been painted?
How much UV exposure and wear n tear?

IE how well is it holding up?

I’m going to paint/dye the “velour” looking door panel inserts and the bottom door panel carpet. But my plastic door panels and trim are in mostly great shape. Leaving some of the metal cab trim that needs painted because of rust spots but idk if it will match without doing all the pieces.
At the same time I don’t want to paint over nice stuff if it’s not going to last a long time.
holding good! for a cheap rattle can that do the job, my truck sleep alway in my garage so that help keeping sun away! ;)

Prep is the key!

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Prep is definitely the key. I painted a dash back around 1990. Removed it from the truck, washed with soap & water and let it dry over night. Then used prepsol to clean it really well. Two coats of plastic primer (which was clear) then several light coats of, not lying, Wal Mart gloss black. Let it dry in the Texas sun for a full week then put everything back together. Kept it 6 years and it was still glossy black when I sold it and it never chipped.

Royal Sierra

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
High Sierra
Engine Size
Hey All - I wanted to let everyone know - if you've considered 'dyeing' your carpet, I did it this weekend and it turned out great. I applied it twice.- 40 minutes apart

My original carpet was charcoal - I went black.

I ended up using the 'spray' Dupli-Color®’s High Performance Vinyl & Fabric - Originally, I was going to use the RIT DYE - but, ended up with the spray over the liquid dye because of availability I hate WAL-MART. I picked up the spray at my local auto parts.

Here's before and after...
You must be registered for see images attach
Did you scuff sand the pedal area before you painted?

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
No I simply cleaned it with green cleaner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx