Just bought this truck and the starter is grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That's what I was figuring. Much bigger job than I was anticipating or looking to do with the little knowledge/experience I have but I'm sure I can get through it.
I’ve never pulled a 203 transfer case or a 205 which I’m assuming you have one of them being a 74. I know they are heavy. And a manual trans is a bit weighty as well. I’d be separating them.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, I'd do what Honkey Kong said. First, if the starter was loose, you may want to try getting the correct size bolts. Who knows what they put in there. Shouldn't ever need nuts on the bolts. Never know, it could work, or at least delay the flywheel r&r....

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I’ve never pulled a 203 transfer case or a 205 which I’m assuming you have one of them being a 74. I know they are heavy. And a manual trans is a bit weighty as well. I’d be separating them.
If it's a standard transmission, yeah you'll have to pull the transmission.. If it's an automatic, you won't.. Remove the drive shafts and plug the output "holes" with something to prevent fluid loss.. Remove the bolts attaching the flywheel to the torque converter. Support the transmission near it's balance point with a floor jack or something suitable that will roll across the floor a few inches.. Remove the bolts holding the cross member to the frame.. Remove the bolt on each side at the bottom of the bell housing. Replace them with bolts that are about 5 inches long. Remove the remaining bell housing bolts and slide the transmission back far enough to reach the crankshaft flange bolts. Using a long box end wrench and a hammer, remove the bolts attaching the flywheel to the crankshaft.. Those long bolts will support the transmission well enough to allow replacement of the flywheel. Loctight the flywheel bolt threads and use a flywheel turning tool to lock the flywheel while tightening the bolts.

Use the proper length starter bolts, no need for "nuts, washers, etc." to take up the slack...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If it's a standard transmission, yeah you'll have to pull the transmission.. If it's an automatic, you won't.. Remove the drive shafts and plug the output "holes" with something to prevent fluid loss.. Remove the bolts attaching the flywheel to the torque converter. Support the transmission near it's balance point with a floor jack or something suitable that will roll across the floor a few inches.. Remove the bolts holding the cross member to the frame.. Remove the bolt on each side at the bottom of the bell housing. Replace them with bolts that are about 5 inches long. Remove the remaining bell housing bolts and slide the transmission back far enough to reach the crankshaft flange bolts. Using a long box end wrench and a hammer, remove the bolts attaching the flywheel to the crankshaft.. Those long bolts will support the transmission well enough to allow replacement of the flywheel. Loctight the flywheel bolt threads and use a flywheel turning tool to lock the flywheel while tightening the bolts.

Use the proper length starter bolts, no need for "nuts, washers, etc." to take up the slack...
Correct I just assumed it was manual as he keeps saying flywheel. If it’s auto then slide her back.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I missed this....

"Seller put in a new gear reductionstarter."

So it's got a mini starter in it. That could explain the too long bolts.

derick417

Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Correct I just assumed it was manual as he keeps saying flywheel. If it’s auto then slide her back.

Sorry, it's an automatic, so it's a flex plate. I've heard both terms, didn't realize the distinction between them.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Sorry, it's an automatic, so it's a flex plate. I've heard both terms, didn't realize the distinction between them.
It’s all good, yeah you can slide the trans and transfer case back. It’s just a balancing act.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Always gotta be politically correct lol just like motor and engine lol

Shiite! You had to bring up that!
DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS !!!
My apologies. I think PC belongs on the Rant Thread. Don't get me started. I know you were joking.

Take 1 (one) bolt out of the starter and push a wire in the hole. Mark it. Put that bolt back in and remove the other. Repeat the process. Buy 2 (two) new bolts and begin the starter alignment process. THAT'S the cheep way out. Follow RustyPiles' instructions and replace the flexplate. If at all possible, use new ARP bolts in the flexplate.
I had to do mine because the PO didn't reinstall the nose support on the starter (not a mini-starter).

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I had nothing but problems when I bought my truck many years ago. OP left it in a similar condition that derick147 is going through. I finally ended up replacing everything, and going back to an OE type starter. Cables, starter, flexplate, bolts.... Made a support bracket for the end of the starter, since it was MIA. Only then, did my starter issues go away.

SO, have you guys had much luck with the mini starters? That was my only time having one, and it wasn't good. Just wondering for the future....

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
It’s how I was thought man.
I was taught the same way.. But from having to deal with dumb parts counter people bringing out all sorts of wrong parts (flex hose, flex handle wrench, flex blade fan, etc.) when "flex plate" was specified, I started using the term "automatic flywheel"..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64