Just bought this truck and the starter is grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I was taught the same way.. But from having to deal with dumb parts counter people bringing out all sorts of wrong parts (flex hose, flex handle wrench, flex blade fan, etc.) when "flex plate" was specified, I started using the term "automatic flywheel"..
I prefer to belittle then to stoop to their level of stupidness. They are “parts” people how is that possible if they don’t know the terminology. No offense to the OP he admitted his green nature of these sorts of things but he knows now. Lol

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
SO, have you guys had much luck with the mini starters? That was my only time having one, and it wasn't good. Just wondering for the future....

Love to know myself!

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
... didn't know what the hell he was doing or talking about. This is becoming a nightmare haha. Just can't figure out why everything worked fine to begin with.

A. Prob didnt know what the hell he was doing or talking about.
B. I feel ya about the nightmare. I bought my truck in May. Started working on it in September, and its finally only becoming a bad dream. You should see my posts... ha.

Lil'm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
1979 1980
Truck Model
K10 shorts
Engine Size
Had very similar issue. Flywheel needed to be replaced.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
OK.

I want to put a junkyard mini-starter in my 350 with a TH350 and 153 tooth flywheel.

As I understand it:

Mounting bolts should be straight across, not staggered.

The best (higher torque) starter is off of a 4.3.
The best starter is off of a Vortec engine.
I need the bolts (shorter) with the starter.
I need to get a starter that has 9 teeth on the drive gear.
It should be found on a '95 or newer vehicle.

How do I tell the year?
How do I know if it's a Vortec engine?
How can I tell if it's a 4.3?
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

dc3725

Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
'74 with a 350...

Some background... Seller put in a new gear reduction starter. And was having issue with the battery draining dead. Said it was the inline fuse on the battery cable going to the starter. So he replaced it and had no further issues.

Now to the issues I'm having... Truck started fine when I was looking at it and a few times during stops on the way home after buying it. Since then a couple issues have popped up. Every time I go to start the truck the battery is drained and has to be jumped. So that issue obviously hasn't been resolved. So I go out to start the truck the other day, and jump it first. When I went to start it just kept cranking, tried this a few times but wouldn't turn over. On the last try it started grinding really bad. Not sure why this problem with the starter popped up. It's brand new and I can't think of any causes. But I don't have really any experience working on cars/trucks. I bought this truck wanting to learn and have a project. I'm just frustrated that something has come so soon and any insight to these issues would be greatly appreciated!!
Yeesh, almost sounds like a battery problem but I don't know for sure

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for the help guys and gals. Got'er in and she cranks like a champ! Quieter too!
My bad on one thing, it was 'offset' bolt pattern. Just $21 at the boneyard. Took about an hour to take it apart and clean and grease everything. Well worth the effort!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76