Junction block issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dill

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
My 88 suburban used to slowly crank but would never start. I thought it could be a fusible link issue so i replaced the link at the alternator, the smaller link at the starter solenoid and the link at the junction block. I didnt see two wires going to one link as other pictures have suggested but there is a red wire that seems to go under the truck possibly to the fuel tank. I was unable to reuse the double ring terminal that connects the two poles so I made a pigtail to connect them. Am I missing something or did i hook it up wrong, the links i made seemed solid. What causes this?

Attachments

• jb.jpg
    jb.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 224
  • jb1.jpg
    jb1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 318

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So what is the new problem after wiring it like that?

The red wire going to the rear is likely for a trailer plug. Or possibly an add-on accessory like rear heat.

Dill

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
The problem is that when I turn the key nothing happens, no dash lights or clicks. The cab light comes on when the door opens though.

jblegg83

Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Were you sure to hook up the wires correctly at the starter solenoid? If the wires are not hooked up correctly at the solenoid, it will not energize and the starter will not crank.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Were you sure to hook up the wires correctly at the starter solenoid? If the wires are not hooked up correctly at the solenoid, it will not energize and the starter will not crank.

This and the powr goes from the battery to the starter and then is fed from there to the junction block and fuse panel. Do you have a wiring diagram to reference?

Dill

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
I hooked up, both wires. Saw some diagrams showing 3 wires, I'll check it out this weekend.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I hooked up, both wires. Saw some diagrams showing 3 wires, I'll check it out this weekend.

There are three studs on some Delco starters but only two of the three are used on the CK trucks after 1974 or 1975.
The 3/8" BAT stud is obviously the battery and one or two fusible links depending on the year.
The other two studs are machine screw threads.
The #8 stud is for the crank wire from the neutral safety or clutch interlock switch. It may be marked S.
The #10 Stud provides full voltage to the coil when the starter is being cranked. It may sometimes be marked R or I. It's only used on the breaker point ignition systems.

If the ring terminal on the crank wire is original or the replacement is for the correct stud diameter, you can't hook the starter studs up incorrectly.

You're using 16ga wire to connect 10ga wires. The Delphi 8911698 double hole terminal was roughly equivalent to 10ga. That's not the main issue but it may become a problem eventually if you draw too much current. The right way to do that is to use a chunk of copper bar. If you want to go ghetto just use a flattened piece of copper tube with 1/4" and 3/16" holes to slide over the studs. The other option is to move all of the wires to one of the two studs.

No power in the cab will be the fusible link at the starter.

Slow crank is usually the battery cables or battery cable terminations. Loose or corroded ground on the alternator bracket or battery. Loose or corroded connections on the positive cable to the starter or battery. Or the battery cable(s) are internally corroded... Or a hammered starter.

Last edited:

Dill

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
My battery cables are in bad shape, I have a bunch of 1 awg and 10 awg, should that be fine to make a new battery harness?

Dill

Reaction score
First Name
Dillon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350ci
It's alive! I put everything on one stud at the junction block, replaced the hot and neutral wires with some auto store 2 gauge ones and attached some grounds I made and the truck started up easily. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly