Jegs or Summit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
WOW Memory Lane!!!!! PAW, JC Whitney, good ole stores! The old Balkamp thick book, from NAPA,had SOOO may off the wall parts in it!!!! I still have one of their last ones, along with a 2018 filter book. I always asked for the old books whenever I was in the NAPA store if I saw new ones going in the racks. We have bought from both Summit and Jegs. We get faster service from Summit with the store in Sparks Nevada. Ordered a Cowl hood for Kooper's S10, came in with a fair sized dent in the cowl area, called Summit and they had one on the delivery truck that day. Got it 2 days later and then called again asking what to do with the damaged hood........keep it, whatever! Great service and attitude!!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good auto parts catalog is necessary for pooping…

Pile of LMC and summit catalogs in my bathroom.

I kinda miss the PAW catalog from my childhood…. I must have circled and underlined a bazillion hot rod dream parts
I remember as a kid taking the latest Sears catalogue to the bathroom but it wasn't necessarily for pooping. :pedobear:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I remember as a kid taking the latest Sears catalogue to the bathroom but it wasn't necessarily for pooping. :pedobear:
LOL... Our local sears was only tools and housewares so we rarely had that catalog but the JC Penney book was pretty rad.

festina_lente

Reaction score
First Name
DA
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
Both companies have treated me well, but I've ordered a lot more from Summit for over 25 years and they've never let me down.
I still check both sites when I need something, but Summit always seems to have the better deal or better parts or something and I know their customer service will be top notch.

For the record, I loved the big thick catalogs too, but they're expensive to produce and don't allow the company to remind you that "you're going to need these other five products too -- just click here".
Even RockAuto's crappy web catalog is better than the old print versions in practice.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
LOL... Our local sears was only tools and housewares so we rarely had that catalog but the JC Penney book was pretty rad.
I stand corrected. It was JC Penney. Sears was for the cool BMX bikes.

midnightblue

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I used to buy from Jeg's ALL THE TIME. They had 3 stores in Columbus and one was 10 miles from where I lived. Their "main" store on 11th Ave was there warehouse. When they built a new giant warehouse up in Delaware Ohio, they closed the W Broad store (the one I normally went to) and the E Main store shortly after that. The only store left was the one on 11th. It wasn't that big of a deal, but I was sore about it. Then a few years later, they quit producing a main catalog, just the 'flyer' catalogs remained. That focking sucked. Even the guys that worked at Jeg's agreed that the lack of a paper catalog sucked. It's hard to shop for stuff online if you don't know exactly what you are looking for.

So then at some point, Summit began offering free shipping on orders over $99. AND they still produce a thick catalog showing things that are available... things that you may not be aware that they exist. I like a paper catalog to browse through, so I've been a Summit customer for 10+ years now. And I'm a happy customer too.
I was a Summit customer forever, however, like most companies they have gone down hill in my opinion. I have been purchasing from Jegs for the past couple of years and have been very happy with their service.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
@thecrow71

not gonna read all the posts. Do an apples to apples comparison to jegs, summit, GM direct, and other performance builders. Form an opinion and compare that to GM direct. I would assume the GM direct being NEW and not rebuilt. At the price tag your willing to pay, I'd pay $2k more for a new one from GM.

Otherwise if your in that window where you are pinching the wallet enough, just rebuild one yourself with exactly what you want.

Just a thought and not knockin' any vendor or you. Hell the money saved might get you a turbo and supercharger.

[edit] sorry I always do this lol....come back and edit the post.

Anyway, don't get one from autozone, orreillys, or advance. I've heard too many stories of auto shops locally that change out engines and there's issues. Parts are warrantied, but not the labor to dismantle/reinstall the broken part. Local shops pretty much have ditched those vendors for LS rebuilds.

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
or you could do what most do, buy one used n run it. When it blows, get another one cheap.

I'm tired of doing that is why I lean a little more to new or rebuild yourself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody