It's this fixable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I've seen and repaired much worse cracks on semi tractors used for hauling oil drilling parts. Also a logging truck. Never drilled any holes..
I did however peen each pass with an air hammer to relieve stress. The logging truck was really visible so after peening each pass and a good proud cover pass, also peened, it was ground down to hide the weld (outside of frame) and painted. Plated the inside and peened. As far as I know that truck is still in service.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, I've seen water trucks repaired before the way Shiftpro describes. Don't have to drill all the way through either. Just dot it or peen it like shiftpro said. I'm not so sure it'll keep it from cracking again if not repaired right, but what the hole or peening does is stop the crack from growing or letting the steel continue to rip. As said, I'd get a die grinder and just grind a couple hair deep trough for the weld to follow and it should hang in there. Adding a plate will be good too.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yep, I've seen water trucks repaired before the way Shiftpro describes. Don't have to drill all the way through either. Just dot it or peen it like shiftpro said. I'm not so sure it'll keep it from cracking again if not repaired right, but what the hole or peening does is stop the crack from growing or letting the steel continue to rip. As said, I'd get a die grinder and just grind a couple hair deep trough for the weld to follow and it should hang in there. Adding a plate will be good too.
Much like finishing a crack in a windshield that starts on an edge or close to it generally by terminating to the edge at its shortest path. I have a big U in my windshield of my aurora that you see it started, but they came in, continued it as a scratch or something in a loop back to the edge. Rather it be cracked for 6 inches total, than dart across your view. Its also legally fixed, i think. windshield retains most structurally capacity

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35