Is this a small block or big block engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
My 1980 which is also a k25 with a 350 also has a 3 line fuel pump.

More than likely I just missed a hose then. Tomorrow I'll actually crawl under the truck to check. I may replace the pump regardless just to have one less thing to worry about. They're only $20 and I'm sure it's the same pump for at least 20 years.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
More than likely I just missed a hose then. Tomorrow I'll actually crawl under the truck to check. I may replace the pump regardless just to have one less thing to worry about. They're only $20 and I'm sure it's the same pump for at least 20 years.
thats not to say the motor wasnt swapped and the donor engine had only 2 lines so one was not-reused, not realizing they are not creating a pressure issue which could cause driveability issues like hesitation, heat soak, etc.

but a great way tofind out, look by your gas tank and see if three rubber lines make their way to the tank, and look at pump. should be a hard metal line that runs along with the fuel line and it goes most of the wya to the tank where it becomes rubber fuel line again.

here an example off google i think

You must be registered for see images attach

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
thats not to say the motor wasnt swapped and the donor engine had only 2 lines so one was not-reused, not realizing they are not creating a pressure issue which could cause driveability issues like hesitation, heat soak, etc.

but a great way tofind out, look by your gas tank and see if three rubber lines make their way to the tank, and look at pump. should be a hard metal line that runs along with the fuel line and it goes most of the wya to the tank where it becomes rubber fuel line again.

here an example off google i think

The truck has a dump bed, so it'll be easy to see the tank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
The verdict is in. I have a small block and a 2 line fuel pump. Thanks for the help everybody.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The verdict is in. I have a small block and a 2 line fuel pump. Thanks for the help everybody.

Yep! That's not to say that it is supposed to though. I would suggest verifying it at the tank like AuroraGirl recommended. It's entirely possible that someone put a 2 line pump in and just didn't connect the return. I would also be careful about just swapping the pump without verifying that is the problem. For some reason new pumps are specc'd for 9psi and almost all of the old carburetors hate them without some additional work. The quadrajets seem to do ok if you lower the float level a little bit more than specified to compensate for the extra pressure, but there have been quite a few threads on here with people having flooding issues on their edelbrocks due to too much fuel pressure. I would recommend some troubleshooting to identify the actual problem before throwing parts at it and potentially causing more issues. These old trucks seem to break something extra I wasn't intending on changing every time I touch something else.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Yep! That's not to say that it is supposed to though. I would suggest verifying it at the tank like AuroraGirl recommended. It's entirely possible that someone put a 2 line pump in and just didn't connect the return. I would also be careful about just swapping the pump without verifying that is the problem. For some reason new pumps are specc'd for 9psi and almost all of the old carburetors hate them without some additional work. The quadrajets seem to do ok if you lower the float level a little bit more than specified to compensate for the extra pressure, but there have been quite a few threads on here with people having flooding issues on their edelbrocks due to too much fuel pressure. I would recommend some troubleshooting to identify the actual problem before throwing parts at it and potentially causing more issues. These old trucks seem to break something extra I wasn't intending on changing every time I touch something else.
Yeah what he said. From the pics the fuel system has had more done to it than just a pump replacement. Maybe the non return pump was just whatever was on hand at the time.

@AuroraGirl I don't like that fuel pump.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yeah what he said. From the pics the fuel system has had more done to it than just a pump replacement. Maybe the non return pump was just whatever was on hand at the time.

@AuroraGirl I don't like that fuel pump.

My neither.

Curious, what do you dislike?

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
My neither.

Curious, what do you dislike?
You kidding? That thing is a trouble maker, a rabblerouser, and an all around problem for those who go near it.

Do you even read your own threads?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You kidding? That thing is a trouble maker, a rabblerouser, and an all around problem for those who go near it.

Do you even read your own threads?
But the only thing I see wrong with it is the oily coating which is from an old oil leak. In asking if it's installed incorrectly or the lines are not routed properly. I'm trying to learn not argue.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Shitcan it and do an LS swap. New tanks (87 newer). Appropriate pumps.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Okay, I've got some new info on the situation. He told me that when he stopped the truck to look at it, the ground for the choke had worked itself off the post. So he reconnected it and finished driving and he said it still ran poorly.

I just went and started it and the truck was very hard to start. Had to crank it forever and keep giving it gas to keep it running. Finally it would idle on its own, but very poorly, lots of missing. After about 5 minutes the idle smoothed a little and I adjusted the idle mixture screws out to 3-1/2 turns out and it smoothed out even more.

Finally the truck was idling smoothly and I could screw the mixture screws in to about 3 turns and keep the truck running. I walked inside and left it running for a while. When I came back out the truck was barely running. Missing really badly.

What could cause it to run like crap then run great for 5 minutes and then run like crap again without me messing with it. If the timing was off then wouldn't it just run like crap all the time. And all of this was after the truck warmed up and the choke was fully open.

The only theory I can come up with is the choke wire came off, caused the choke to close, the truck ran super rich and fouled the plugs. I was hoping after hooking up the choke it would clear itself up, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey