Is there a ground block?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ive heard theres an extra ground block under the dash for aux items, is this true? If so where do i find it?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ive heard theres an extra ground block under the dash for aux items, is this true? If so where do i find it?
Just above the drivers kick panel up from the parking brake.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
errrrrrt.... (those are brakes). I was just thinking about this yesterday. I need to ground this stolen head unit from the PO. @Honky Kong jr If you thought that the 22's were the worst thing about this truck, you should see how the system is wired in. hahaha.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
errrrrrt.... (those are brakes). I was just thinking about this yesterday. I need to ground this stolen head unit from the PO. @Honky Kong jr If you thought that the 22's were the worst thing about this truck, you should see how the system is wired in. hahaha.
You’ve mentioned the rats nest before.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

Nothing to laugh about without pix.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Here ya go. And I have a **** load of electrical feed back. From everything. Turn signals. Alt. Windows. Blower motor. Wipers. You name anything electrical and it provides feedback through the system.

You must be registered for see images attach

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
BTW. They cut holes in the door panels and used long wood screws to put the boxes on the doors.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Here ya go. And I have a **** load of electrical feed back. From everything. Turn signals. Alt. Windows. Blower motor. Wipers. You name anything electrical and it provides feedback through the system.

Looks good to me!

:eek:

I would remove everything and start fresh.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

:emotions122:Nice hack job on the doors for sure. I guess they figured the noise suppressor wasn’t needed.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Attached picture where you can see the ground block on the left with wires plugged in

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
I went back and added a few grounds and cleaned grounds in the engine bay and today, strangely, I didnt get shocked getting out of the truck. Who would have thunk.

Sooooo, I think the aftermarket head unit, which looks like it was stolen is internally grounded.... you know, shorted. I pulled the wires, and of course the red and yellow are twisted together and then the ground was the only one actually through the original wiring. I clipped it and it still had power when it was in the chassis. So, I bet thats where all of my noises are coming from. Im going to ground the chassis and see if that makes a difference.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Oh, and that second pic, was after I "cleaned" it up. I should have taken a before pic. One a plus, I can now turn the system up loud enough to drown out the whirrling alternator noise. Go and figure if they cant wire up a system, they sure as hell are tone deaf too.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
and I forgot... They could have easily used a seat bolt to ground all the equipment, but nooooooooooo, they put another hole in the bottom middle of the cab and ran a bolt and nut.

And just to be sure, I ran a ground from that to the frame, because you know, cab mounts are rubber. So the only way this was grounding back to the batter was one little ground from the left side of the blower motor box. And then I added a ground from that to the frame and from that frame point, to the battery. I mean, my quick grounds are kinda hacky, but nothing like the PO's or the PPO's job.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Looks good to me!

:eek:

I would remove everything and start fresh.

Absolutely. Any electrical noise is a feedback. You have a grounding issue. Sometimes the easiest fix is to do exactly what Rusty Nail suggested, remove it first and start over.
You will find it will enlighten you to a great many truths Grasshopper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C30vet