Is it bad to scrap parts versus selling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
i love going to the local pick a parts. i use to see a lot of square bodys but they are getting fewer and farther between and the ones i do see are picked too death. about the only things remaining are so damaged they are not usable. theirs a lot of nickle dime parts on these trucks that can help keep others on the road. personally i would part it. you might get back more than you think. i did a 73 cj5 a number of years ago bought 2 jeeps used the best parts on the one i kept, sold off the rest in pieces, almost made enough to pay for it..

Super-Dave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I like my cab more, sentimental value. My cab corners are just pretty bad....

$1,200 worth of sentimental?

For someone who is "super dutch" - spending $1,200 on "sentimental" while fretting over an extra $200 for a ton of parts. . . After the $200 additional cost for all the parts, your are $1,000 ahead of sentimental. Selling off extra parts for $400, you recoup your additional $200 and reduce your overall outlay to $100. You are $$$$$ ahead of sentimental.

As for the "work" it takes to disassemble, well, you are saving money in exchange for your time. When you sell extra parts, you are paying yourself to disassemble.

Now, if you were married, your wife gave birth to your kid(s), and you all were baptized, in that cab. . . I can see sentimental. ;)
With the corner rot, being baptized would have been a real extra sentimental. ;)

richiemoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
4.3L
I'm definitely buying the '82 truck for $500. i'll scrap the old front clip and see how much work the box needs. I know i can sell that, and probably make my money back. Then buy a southern one down the road. I was going to pass on it, but my dad said to go for it, and will help me take the clip off. Then save up for the high end door shells, and fix the cab corners. Can't wait to drive this again, eventually....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1