Is a 2wd 4L60E worth the trouble?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Please accept my heartfelt apology if I have contributed to your frustration.

I want to learn more, this is why I ask what may be to some dumb questions.

Rule #1: there is never a dumb question! That's how people learn and lord knows I have PLENTY of questions myself so definitely keeping asking, man! :handshake: Questions are what make the world go round :)

Rule #2: :think: I'll have to get back to you on that one :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Please accept my heartfelt apology if I have contributed to your frustration.

I want to learn more, this is why I ask what may be to some dumb questions.

In most cases there isn't any dumb questions. I don't think you've contributed to any of anyone's frustration Christian.

Did you get my response about the Sonnax springs? I included a link to purchase them on ebay too. Or at least know what is being reffered to and buy them somewhere else where you might be able to get them quicker.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Wait a second.. Let me confirm what you are saying.. 700R4 is an awesome tranny, but 4L60E is total junk..

Ok.

To the builders here, I want to clarify something on the spring question:

Back to my question about the springs on the 3-4 clutch pack. Let's say the tension was taken out of the springs a bit from the heat.. Apparently, it used to be recommended to remove the springs altogether, so at worst, if the springs are weaker, it would be as though there weren't any springs at all, something that used to be reccomended? I am kinda pressed for time, if you can give me a compelling reason to purchase release springs new, and wait for the shipping, etc I will, but snow will be flying soon, and I will have to be laying on the ground outside to re-install this tranny if I wait too much longer. I have arranged to spend some time on it tonight, won't have this weekend to work on it, so if I wait on the springs, I won't be able to put it all back together till the following weekend. I was hoping to be re-installing the transmission into the vehicle by then.

If I decide to proceed without buying new release springs, would I be better off leaving them out, or simply re-installing them? Is there any way that having the used ones in there can be worse than leaving them out altogether?

Thanks for any advice.

Ok HotRod gave you his opinion on the springs, Now I will give you mine.

I understand you are on a time crunck for the transmission. Incase your not exactly sure why they are even there I will try to explain. The clutch packs do NOT disengage fast enough with out the springs. This will cause clutch slippage and HEAT build up (decreased Transmission life). I always reccomend to REPLACE the springs. If you leave the springs out then realize the clutches are going to slip, If you put the old ones back in then theres a chance that the spring tension is lost which will make them brittle and eventually break letting metal particles loose thru your transmission. Its really your choice but I would say order them, Also note that the sonnex springs are stiffer springs and will help disengage the clutches much faster.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you wish NOT TO WAIT, at least put in the old springs. If you can wait, its highly recommended to use the Sonnax aftermarket springs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SONN...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a62642a88

Ok HotRod gave you his opinion on the springs, Now I will give you mine.

I understand you are on a time crunck for the transmission. Incase your not exactly sure why they are even there I will try to explain. The clutch packs do NOT disengage fast enough with out the springs. This will cause clutch slippage and HEAT build up (decreased Transmission life). I always reccomend to REPLACE the springs. If you leave the springs out then realize the clutches are going to slip, If you put the old ones back in then theres a chance that the spring tension is lost which will make them brittle and eventually break letting metal particles loose thru your transmission. Its really your choice but I would say order them, Also note that the sonnex springs are stiffer springs and will help disengage the clutches much faster.

I agree with that. As I said, if you can't wait...., but really the $19 and another couple days could be the difference of tens of thousands of miles in longevity. That 3-4 clutch pack can use all the help it can get. I also agree the old springs have likley lost their tensile strength from previous overheats. Sonnax doesn't make any junk so I say its a no brainer. Be assured, my next 700r4 build will have them in it now that I know ATSG has recanted to not use them, and knowing the Sonnax makes them now, tells me they are worth having. See, an old dog can learn new tricks. You just have to be willing to listen, do the research, and never have the attitude that you know everything. But, I'm still not convinced on the Z pak over the Alto Commercial pack.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
if some of the people that claim to be rebuilding these defective transmissions..at home or where ever.were really any good..they would not even be messing with the defective junk..they would not touch it..if they were any good..they would be some where.taking care of the new transmissions that are out..when we are only getting fifty thousand-one hundred thousand miles.out of a transmission..that tells you that it is junk..my chevy conversion van..is on the third..4l60e with only 140,000..they were and are junk..

140,000 miles and 3 transmissions LOL, Did you ever stop to think that maybe JUST MAYBE theres something else wrong with your van causing your problems? So let me get this straight. You think that any tech that can fix these transmissions should be working FOR the company, designing new products? You sir are a catch 22, If the techs start designing then who is going to do your repairs?

So you dont like electronics huh!!! Then what in the hell are you doing on a COMPUTER? Again CATCH 22

It seems like you like some of the beniefits of technology, but cant help but complain when something doesnt go your way. Purhaps you should have taken your van to a DIFFERENT place after the 2nd one failed you. OH BTW I could tell you what is wrong with your van that your eating transmissions BUT you seem to have your mind made up that they are just "defective" so just keep on driving your old carbeurated stuff and quit your bitching about the technology of today. I am sure you can think of another bitch with your carbed vehichles, but let me give you a hint MPG, cold weather starting.

they came out with the 4l80e.to help take some of the pressure.that the dealers were going through..with so many vehicles coming in with the transmissions..gone out at low miles..they were swamped..

AGAIN THEY CAME OUT WITH THE 4l80e FOR THE 3/4 AND 1 TON TRUCKS. GM TECHS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO FIX THE TRANSMISSIONS THE WAY THEY SHOULD BE THEY ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO REBUILD THEM WITH FACTORY UPGRADES, WHICH MEANS NO SONNEX.
if you care to look it up..what is out there from GM themselves.it will tell you..about the internal oiling problem.that they had for years and that they could not correct it..the parts were not getting enough oil..

so the cheap defective parts.stripped or broke.every time that they could.they upgraded the parts..but at first.there were no up graded parts.that took some time too come about.to do a 4l60e..you got too just about change out.every part in it.from front too back..

i think it is stupid.that they.even.had the nerve..to put.electrics..in to the transmission.like that..i think it is the craziest thing ever.to have a vehicle.that is controlled by electronics -and not the driver any way..and i got two of such vehicles. Why dont you ask todays farmers how electronics have helped there operation? GPS Planting, auto steer, yield monitors, are just a few very valuable electronis in todays farming.
but i went out and bought.two old trucks..to back them up.because.something all ways.breaks on them.electronic vehicles are just money pitts..the new vehicles.have digital dashes.you have a little fender bender.and it knocks out that digital dash.they total your vehicle.

so what does that tell you.is the vehicle mfg,s in with the insurance corporations..totaling vehicles..so you have to go buy another one..loose what you have in your vehicle.i wonder..you know insurance corps are not going to stand by and let something be built..that they lose money on..

tells me your stuck living in the past and refuse to accept the changes in technology, and economics of todays world.
so i assume that they are making money..off of totaling out the vehicle..

Opinions are like ********, and it just so happens yours stinks worse then ours.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Wtf is goin on in this thread? :roflbow:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
AGAIN THEY CAME OUT WITH THE 4l80e FOR THE 3/4 AND 1 TON TRUCKS. GM TECHS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO FIX THE TRANSMISSIONS THE WAY THEY SHOULD BE THEY ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO REBUILD THEM WITH FACTORY UPGRADES, WHICH MEANS NO SONNEX.

Also means, no Trans Go, No Red Alto, No Kolene, No Z paks, to make a durable daily driver transmission. No TCI hardened shafts, etc etc. All the aftermarket parts needed to make a 700r4/4L60-E able to hold up to 700hp.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
:roflbow:

if he dislikes gm products that much send him to a dodge forum or even the ferd forum :Sumo:

LMAO I thought about saying that but figured that might be just a tad to much lol :High 5:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I agree with that. As I said, if you can't wait...., but really the $19 and another couple days could be the difference of tens of thousands of miles in longevity. That 3-4 clutch pack can use all the help it can get. I also agree the old springs have likley lost their tensile strength from previous overheats. Sonnax doesn't make any junk so I say its a no brainer. Be assured, my next 700r4 build will have them in it now that I know ATSG has recanted to not use them, and knowing the Sonnax makes them now, tells me they are worth having. See, an old dog can learn new tricks. You just have to be willing to listen, do the research, and never have the attitude that you know everything. But, I'm still not convinced on the Z pak over the Alto Commercial pack.

oh so now i'm a no it all lol hey if the altos are working for you then by all meins stick with them

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
oh so now i'm a no it all lol hey if the altos are working for you then by all meins stick with them

NO, I won't be using Z paks. I will stick to the Alto Commerical 3-4 packs. Justp pointing out all the other aftermarket products that correct issues with these units. I will use them if ATSG says to use them. I did not know ATSG changed their mind on these.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wtf is goin on in this thread? :roflbow:

Just trying to get Papa Wheelie up to speed and enlighten him a bit about the 4L60-E transmissions. I certainly hope we've answered Stubs question rather than confuse him.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
What it comes down too is the 4l60e was no good from the get go and gm..found that out quick.but crap massed produced..just keeps getting used..the only way.even one of them is any good at all

is if some one spends the big dollars and builds one.from front to back.but why would you.it is still a 50-50 if it holds up.a honest transmission man

would tell a customer.to not bother.rebuilding the trans and spending that money..if he was honest.he would tell the person.to go find a

700r4 or a 4l80e and take your chances on that.buy a used one at a wrecking yard.with low miles..and save some money.but how many honest transmission men are out there or mechanics for that matter.

Times are hard..and it is just easier.to take some ones money..too get work..they know who they are...right..

The shame of this is.if you are a company and you put out a trans or a motor and it is totally no good..if you had any honesty or honor..you would stand behind your product.

General motors..dodged and ran..if my trans goes out in my van again..i am no fool..if i keep the van..i will get a built 700r4 with out the electronics.in side the trans..

The engine.350r would work great.in another vehicle..i could do that..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derek12345