Introduction post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suburbandit

Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
What part of San Diego are you in.
I live downtown in a tiny apartment. Doesn't give me a lot of room to work on my burb but no one has complained the couple of times I've commandeered a car port to take things apart.
The switches can also be suspect. Look into adding relays.
Thanks for the tip! One of the first things I did was bypass the tailgate-closed switch per some threads I found on this forum. Unfortunately it wasn't that switch. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to test whether the motor is bad?
I pulled out the whole regulator with motor (and the latch mechanism since it's iffy on whether it works or not).
You must be registered for see images attach

Other than being really dirty (open to tips on cleaning it as well) it's in good shape. But the motor casing is pretty rusted.

Should I just hook up the motor pins to the battery and see if it moves? Doesn't seem like the best approach...

Also maybe asking these questions is best done in a new thread? Thanks in advance!

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I live downtown in a tiny apartment. Doesn't give me a lot of room to work on my burb but no one has complained the couple of times I've commandeered a car port to take things apart.

Thanks for the tip! One of the first things I did was bypass the tailgate-closed switch per some threads I found on this forum. Unfortunately it wasn't that switch. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to test whether the motor is bad?
I pulled out the whole regulator with motor (and the latch mechanism since it's iffy on whether it works or not).

Other than being really dirty (open to tips on cleaning it as well) it's in good shape. But the motor casing is pretty rusted.

Should I just hook up the motor pins to the battery and see if it moves? Doesn't seem like the best approach...

Also maybe asking these questions is best done in a new thread? Thanks in advance!
I was born and raised in Lakeside.

I would say that motor is a goner. I would just replace it, and save yourself a bunch of headaches. The window motors are not expensive. They are 20 bucks at Rock Auto.

suburbandit

Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
I was born and raised in Lakeside.

I would say that motor is a goner. I would just replace it, and save yourself a bunch of headaches. The window motors are not expensive. They are 20 bucks at Rock Auto.
I see window motors, but I can't find tailgate motors on RockAuto, or anywhere really besides Nu-Relics full regulator replacement. Am I able to use the window motors on the tailgate regulator?

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I see window motors, but I can't find tailgate motors on RockAuto, or anywhere really besides Nu-Relics full regulator replacement. Am I able to use the window motors on the tailgate regulator?
I'm sorry I looked at the pic wrong. It's a tailgate motor. It should be the same motor as the Blazer. I have an extra, two or three Blazer tailgate motors. Pay the shipping and I'll send you one. PM me your address. Unless you want to wait until the end of May. I'll be in San Diego May 25th.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker

suburbandit

Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
Well evidently the Suburban and Blazer use different motors. I found this on a quick search.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...X7FgFp-YUJ56m_cINUwlZmPo72CUoKeRoCq4gQAvD_BwE
Yeah, unfortunately the blazer and suburban tailgates use different motors (and different regulators/windows :sad72:). Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it! The one you linked from summit racing looks very similar to the suburban one but it's listed as fitting "Chrysler, Dodge, Eagle, Plymouth" so I'm not sure whether it would work on the suburban regulator. If I enter my make and model on Summit and search for tailgate or motor I only get front and side window motors, no tailgates :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag