Intro 89 burb AZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProjectJunky

Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
burb 1500
Engine Size
What's up fellas been lurking for the past couple weeks seems like a great community looking forward to learning and sharing.

Back story so way back when I had a 76 k5 never had to work on it while I had it just drove the **** out of it awesome fkn rig. When it was time to get another vehicle the wife's only stipulation was it had to fit the whole family. Bawhahahah "YES DEAR NOOO PROBLEM!!!"

So I wanted another k5 but with the stipulation I search instead for a burb. Couldn't find anything local that wasn't either already done and out of my price range or was bet to all hell.

So i looked in my old mans area. Finally found and talked to a guy that seemed was on the up n up after many jerkoffs. 89 burb 4×4 350 auto for 1200 paint was trashed couple doors but overall was a healthy runner. I couldn't go myself but out of the pics i got didnt seem to need much more then cosmetics. So had the old man pick it up for me and drive it around for a few months till I could get it.

So when I get there I check it out go drive it seems great few gauges don't work headliner sags nothing major besides darched leafs. So load it up with all my **** and another project (vdub Baja) that I had been storing at his place. And hit the road.
Smashes 5 hrs down the interstate no problems. That's all until I'm halfway over the grapevine. All of a sudden it starts running like **** heat starts to go up by time I get to the next offramp 1\4 mile im overheating and the tranny is gone. "Fk Me!!"

Any way this has gotten long quick so I'll cut to the chase. Burb wasn't supposed to be a project but here we go. Picking up parts and trannys in the shop.
ON TO THE PICS!!

Attachments

• IMG_20150425_121416.jpg
    IMG_20150425_121416.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20150425_121454.jpg
    IMG_20150425_121454.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20150425_121332.jpg
    IMG_20150425_121332.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20150425_121339.jpg
    IMG_20150425_121339.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20150425_121530.jpg
    IMG_20150425_121530.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 147

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Welcome. I wish the frame on my 87 was half as clean as the one under your burb.

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
Not a bad lookin burb. Welcome to the forum.

ProjectJunky

Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
burb 1500
Engine Size
Welcome. I wish the frame on my 87 was half as clean as the one under your burb.

Ty, the frame and under belly are clean really havent seen any rust yet. Other then the roof and leafs.

Not a bad lookin burb. Welcome to the forum.
Ty glad to be here.

A lot of awesome threads going. Will prolly start up a build up tomorrow. Rat came in, as well as picked up the trans. Not bad I have to say dropped it off Monday.
Looking forward to getting this beast running again. Its sat for almost a yr now.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What's up fellas been lurking for the past couple weeks seems like a great community looking forward to learning and sharing.

Back story so way back when I had a 76 k5 never had to work on it while I had it just drove the **** out of it awesome fkn rig. When it was time to get another vehicle the wife's only stipulation was it had to fit the whole family. Bawhahahah "YES DEAR NOOO PROBLEM!!!"

So I wanted another k5 but with the stipulation I search instead for a burb. Couldn't find anything local that wasn't either already done and out of my price range or was bet to all hell.

So i looked in my old mans area. Finally found and talked to a guy that seemed was on the up n up after many jerkoffs. 89 burb 4×4 350 auto for 1200 paint was trashed couple doors but overall was a healthy runner. I couldn't go myself but out of the pics i got didnt seem to need much more then cosmetics. So had the old man pick it up for me and drive it around for a few months till I could get it.

So when I get there I check it out go drive it seems great few gauges don't work headliner sags nothing major besides darched leafs. So load it up with all my **** and another project (vdub Baja) that I had been storing at his place. And hit the road.
Smashes 5 hrs down the interstate no problems. That's all until I'm halfway over the grapevine. All of a sudden it starts running like **** heat starts to go up by time I get to the next offramp 1\4 mile im overheating and the tranny is gone. "Fk Me!!"

Any way this has gotten long quick so I'll cut to the chase. Burb wasn't supposed to be a project but here we go. Picking up parts and trannys in the shop.
ON TO THE PICS!!

Theres a lot of guys that want to be you with that clean looking Burb right now lol.

I wish any of my vehicles looked that clean underneath

That TH350 is not up to the task of the weight of that Burb plus hauling. I would upgrade o a TH400 for sure or a 4L80e.

ProjectJunky

Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
burb 1500
Engine Size
Theres a lot of guys that want to be you with that clean looking Burb right now lol.

I wish any of my vehicles looked that clean underneath

That TH350 is not up to the task of the weight of that Burb plus hauling. I would upgrade o a TH400 for sure or a 4L80e.

Clean undercarriages is one of the good things of being in the az area. the major negitive is the heat its going to be 102 today and its not even summer yet.

Tranny was/is a 700R. My dumb ass hualed in OD but. I think the major issue was that one of the plug wires fell down.on top of the exhaust mani I believe thats what did me in tho.

700 rebuild with heavy duty sunshell stage to shift kit wider bands and new torque.

Just found a lead on a guy parting out a couple local well see what goodies I get to come up on.

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
The 700 trans can do fine in overdrive towing if your geared right and have a good trans cooler. Mine stays right at 170 deg towing my enclosed.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I would go with a deep sump pan and the biggest cooler with an electric fan for that 700r4

ProjectJunky

Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
burb 1500
Engine Size
The 700 trans can do fine in overdrive towing if your geared right and have a good trans cooler. Mine stays right at 170 deg towing my enclosed.

Really now hmmm a bunch of guys have told me the opposite. So maybe it was just the plug wire that hit the mani fkd up everything? Or just a combination of that along with weak everything else lol

I would go with a deep sump pan and the biggest cooler with an electric fan for that 700r4

Maybe later picked up a reg sump and it dose have a trans cooler in front of the ac condenser/rat. No extra fan and I dont have a gauge prolly something I should add in just to keep an eye on things.

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
Really now hmmm a bunch of guys have told me the opposite. So maybe it was just the plug wire that hit the mani fkd up everything? Or just a combination of that along with weak everything else lol

I know alot of guys that hate the 700r trans because they have had so much bad luck. My burb and my c1500 both have 700r trans and neither have ever had a problem towing. Maybe I am lucky or maybe its just because both of mine are built right. I don't know

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB Pat. Damn, look at that interior !!! That's my color. That is the charcoal gray right? Or is it blue and the camera lighting or my monitor? I thought by 89 it was light gray. If that thing had bucket seats and charcoal gray, it might be worth a drive to Yuma and snag it outta your driveway. Kidding of course !!! $1200 was a good deal for what appears to be and probably is 98% rust free coming from AZ. That in itself is a worthy trade of a few door dents for a clean sold undercarriage and frame IMO.

So now onto the transmission issue... You've got your intro out of the way. How about starting an Under Construction build thread on your project Burb. Then we'll discuss that transmission. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25

You can also fire up a thread just for the transmission discussion if you wish too. I like to see Derick participate in that discussion since he's mentioned you can tow in OD if geared and built right. I won't disagree with that at all. But, I'm curious as to what his "Built Right" entails. Cuz it's a fact, lots of people have bad luck with 700r4's. I know of many many upgrades for 700r4's, but when you hear of someone with a good recipe for building a good one, you always want to find out what that recipe is.
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer