Intermittent Noisy Front Hubs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nealdonoho

Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I bought a 1978 K10 4x4 about two months ago. When I bought it, the front locking hubs were not on it and they were exposed. Anyways, after tuning it up a little and installing the used locking hubs that came with the truck, I drove it about 15 miles and a loud grinding noise happened. I immediately stopped the truck, got out and looked and didn't feel anything hot with the hubs. I got back in the truck and it did the same thing over and over until I made a complete stop then it would go away for a few miles again. Once I got to where I was going, I removed the locking hubs and took another test drive and the loud grinding noise happened again. I happened to pull into my grandfathers drive when it happened and he later found a gear in his driveway (see attached picture). I am clueless on what to do now and I am also worried about the safety of the truck. Can anyone help me please?

Attachments

• Gear Pic.jpg
    Gear Pic.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 112

nealdonoho

Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just went out and looked at the front hubs. I am missing one of these at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31