interior lights cut off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Holl

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
is there a way to install a switch to cut off interior lights when the doors are left open? my suburban has 3- floorboard, cab light and rear cab light. 5 door sensors.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
is there a way to install a switch to cut off interior lights when the doors are left open? my suburban has 3- floorboard, cab light and rear cab light. 5 door sensors.
yes
You must be registered for see images

i believe the way it is wired in squares through gmt 400 with factory option that switch is NOS or reproduced

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
That was just to turn the bed light on/off.

To keep the interior lights from coming on you would have to find the common power wire and splice into it and put a switch on it. Unfortunately I don't know which wire that is but in the wiring diagram it shouldn't be too difficult to locate.

The other way would be to find each ground wire from the door switches and put an on/off switch there.

Neither are really difficult.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
This was discussed on here recently.

The courtesy lamps have constant power to each lamp, and are triggered by a ground at each door. The easiest way to shut them off is to pull the fuse. The only problem with that is most likely that will shut off other things. The clock, power door locks, etc, are also on that fuse.

The best option is to just replace all the lamps with LED bulbs. Then you could leave the doors open for a week and the battery will still be charged.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
This is how I have done mine. I use to do this to the cars I had in the 70's. Works great for me. I have one on each door.

1st pic, door open, light on.
2nd pic, door open, light off.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
This was discussed on here recently.

The courtesy lamps have constant power to each lamp, and are triggered by a ground at each door. The easiest way to shut them off is to pull the fuse. The only problem with that is most likely that will shut off other things. The clock, power door locks, etc, are also on that fuse.

The best option is to just replace all the lamps with LED bulbs. Then you could leave the doors open for a week and the battery will still be charged.
i do believe op wanted the option to cut them for privacy or to not draw attention when doors open, etc. Its a nice feature and has its place. sometimes the ambient lighting is enough and you just dont want to draw bugs, etc

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Holl
Look up the dome light thread on here I started.
Has a wiring diagram. The hot lead is common to all the interior and cargo lights
Orange wire iirc and it comes off the front side of the fuse panel. Find that wire and interrupt it with a switch. Easy to do.

Holl

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
thanks guys!

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I'm not sure about a Suburban, but the orange hot lead for the dome lights in a pickup truck is very easy to find up under the dash near the emergency brake mechanism. If you inserted a switch that would break that wire connection it should turn the dome lights off.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm not sure about a Suburban, but the orange hot lead for the dome lights in a pickup truck is very easy to find up under the dash near the emergency brake mechanism. If you inserted a switch that would break that wire connection it should turn the dome lights off.
Does this wire branch to the under dash light in the middle or does it have a power source different?

and i can locate mine real easy it hangs below my left foot outside the observation window and wooden rug above it :)

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I went through the wiring diagram and tried to figure it out, but I think I’ll just need to look at it to figure out the connection. The courtesy lights under the dash are in all trucks, but the dome and cargo light are optional, and they both use the orange wire. It’s not clear from the wiring diagram how they interconnect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus