Intake Tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
Any tips on where I can find a tube to run from the metal air intake to a hole in the front of the truck beside the radiator to get some cold clean air into the carb? Mine doesn't have anything there.

I would prefer something cheap and local to something that I would have to order online. <$20 hopefully

I found a pic of what I am talking about on an '85
You must be registered for see images

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Unless someone here has one, your only options are junkyards, ebay, or LMC. LMC wants $25 + shipping which isn't too bad. You'll spend more on gas running around trying to source one locally.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Is your current air cleaner housing compatible? There is also a mount in the radiator support that tube snaps onto.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
It should. Even if it didn't have one originally I am sure I can make one work if it looks like the one in that pic.

It always seemed to be running really rich, if I got on the gas at all it would lag horribly as if the card was dumping way too much fuel in for the amount of air it was in-taking. I took the intake/filter assembly off and removed the flap(valve) assembly inside the intake pipe because the vaccuum line was gone from the bottom anyway and the truck seemed to be running much better now that it is getting more air intake, I just figured that bringing in fresh air in somehow would definitely make it run better than sucking in all that hot air from the engine compartment directly above the manifold.

Edit: my intake assembly doesn't look exactly like the one in the pic above I'll see if I can get a pic, maybe one of you guys would know better since my only experience with squarebodies comes from this truck.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
There is always dryer vent hose. :D

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just take it off the one in the pic. problem solved.:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Every one of those I've ran across was torn or in several pieces :disgust:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
If you can get the hose, mounting it is no problem even if you don't have the oem connector. Some 4" o.d. abs pipe works great, the piece shown here came with female threads on the end attached to the radiator support.

You must be registered for see images attach

On the front side of the support I used a piece with male threads, after cutting off whatever length wasn't needed, and threaded them together.

You must be registered for see images attach

I could have used glue on them but wanted to be able to remove it if it was ever necessary so the small set screw in the first pic keeps it from turning.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
That is an interesting idea. Mine is pretty flat, probly flatter than the one in the picture. I know of an old Silverado at this sketchy little junkyard by my house. I already have plans to go back and get the passenger triangle window assembly from it and the bed rails this coming weekend if its still there, I'll check and see if it still has one. If anyone has one though let me know, even if it isn't the best shape... I have been looking for an excuse to buy a bottle of Flex-Seal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjvNHiFCaPw

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
We just started selling that Flex-Seal at my work. I plan on taking a can or 2 for a test drive, especially for the flat roof on the back of the house and the bottom of my boat. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04