Installing second fuel tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Hey GM Squarebody,

My 87 K20 has a fuel leak. Once it started, I noticed that the fuel tank had been patched previously. Now, I'm going to replace my fuel tank.

However, my truck has a 2 tank bed and I was wondering How easy it would be to install a second tank while I was replacing the main one. The previous owner said it had a second tank and it just rusted out so he removed it. I have a fuel switch on the dash that if I switch it to the second tank it shuts off the fuel from the first. Also, underneath the bed, I see the fuel valve that has one nozzle going to the drivers side to my current tank and it has a nozzle going to the left to the aux tank. Does this mean that I just need fuel lines, a fuel pump, and a passengers side tank in order to add a second tank?

Thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Does this mean that I just need fuel lines, a fuel pump, and a passengers side tank in order to add a second tank?

Sounds like a plan for the outlet side of the tank. But you'll want to be able to put gas in the tank first. For that, you will need the combined fill neck/vent for that side and the hoses that connect each nipple to the tank.

Also, unless they are still there, you'll need to find front and rear tank brackets and the straps that go with each. Brackets are front/back specific, straps are interchangeable.

A dwg that shows tank mount/fill parts and a list of the part numbers:

You must be registered for see images attach

And just a view of the dual tank piping arrangement and the parts list:

Last edited:

SierraClassic4x4

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500
Engine Size
Getting ready to replace my whole fuel system this weekend on 1985 Sierra Classic 4x4 Thanks for the pics. They might come in handy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aultinator