Inline Tube TH350 trans cooling lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Screw hard lines.. if I was to redo the lines on my truck soft lines!

Sounds good and easy until your rubber line chafes on something, wears through, squirts all your trans fluid out, burns up your trans, and sets your truck on fire. That's a worst case scenario, of course, but definitely NOT recommended to run all rubber lines for anything, generally speaking.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds good and easy until your rubber line chafes on something, wears through, squirts all your trans fluid out, burns up your trans, and sets your truck on fire.

Steel braided with nylon :)

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Much better than rubber, but still makes me hesitate. Just my personal feelings on the matter. :shrug:

X2 I have watched a few burn to the ground from exactly that! Hot transmission fluid when in contact with hot exhaust components ignites immediately!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
X2 I have watched a few burn to the ground from exactly that! Hot transmission fluid when in contact with hot exhaust components ignites immediately!

Just one more benefit to a manual trans. :gr_grin:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Sounds good and easy until your rubber line chafes on something, wears through, squirts all your trans fluid out, burns up your trans, and sets your truck on fire. That's a worst case scenario, of course, but definitely NOT recommended to run all rubber lines for anything, generally speaking.

.......and that is EXACTLY what happened to me...the exception was that I was less than 1/2 mile from my house and the flames didn't spread further than taking out some new silicone plugs wires. I got lucky that I only lost about 1-1/2 qts of atf. Any further from home and I would have either burned up my brand new transmission, or watched as my project truck burned to the ground (glad its fully insured). Absolutely WONT run soft lines. Between the heat and the psi...never again.:whymewhyme:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It honestly sounds like you guys are just tossing regular soft line like fuel hose onto your transmissions and hoping it works. Hydraulic hose and steel braided hose has been around for years and works very well when used properly.

Yes if threw just plain old fuel line hose onto a transmission I would expect it to fail and cause nightmares but use the proper stuff and you should have zero issues.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You will have the same problem and I personally don't want my baby to burn to the ground. So good luck with your soft lines !!!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think I need to change those hoses on the 69. They only run from trans cooler to radiator, but they are really old. At least they're designed specifically for ATF use, unlike fuel or vacuum hose.

All automotive hose types are NOT created equal! Some handle pressure, some handle vacuum without collapsing, some handle pressure and high temps.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I think I need to change those hoses on the 69. They only run from trans cooler to radiator, but they are really old. At least they're designed specifically for ATF use, unlike fuel or vacuum hose.

All automotive hose types are NOT created equal! Some handle pressure, some handle vacuum without collapsing, some handle pressure and high temps.

Ya me too :(

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

This is what I'm trying to get at! And perhaps people don't realize this.:shrug:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
This is what I'm trying to get at! And perhaps people don't realize this.:shrug:

I have watched hydraulic hose fail with ease too. That is what Im getting at! If you want insurance that you wont have issues, put on hard lines! Do it once! And be done with it!

Also hard lines will not contaminate your transmission when the inside fails with out rupturing the hose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes