In the next 2 months Im looking to buy a(nother) square..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I prefer a much larger tire in comparison to the rim
My k5 is 53" tires on 20" rims
S10 is 39.5's on 16" rims.
Cheaper tires and better ride with better functionality on the off road?

BUT HOW WILL YOU PROVE YOU GOT A BIG PP?Everyone knows big rims and tires means thats the casee!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Bleh, I'm not real big in proving that to the world, no need to.

I just like big tire trucks and shyt

Always felt like there was a lack in that department if you had to go out of your way to prove it to.....
Other Men.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Bleh, I'm not real big in proving that to the world, no need to.

I just like big tire trucks and shyt

Always felt like there was a lack in that department if you had to go out of your way to prove it to.....
Other Men.
Exactly. Id much rather see a guys 2wd long bed 1/2 ton overloaded with gravel than a pretty boys big old truck that doesnt know what dirt is.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Exactly. Id much rather see a guys 2wd long bed 1/2 ton overloaded with gravel than a pretty boys big old truck that doesnt know what dirt is.

Alot of that brand of "country boy" here

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
For what it's worth, you're not the only woman that thinks that **** is ridiculous.
My misses thinks those butt plug trucks look gay asf too.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This thread really isn’t about finding another truck, is it? Lol

AG, I appreciate your tenacity and opinions, but you certainly don’t know what’s out there for vehicles.
I’m from where you are and have lived in many states since.
I can tell you unequivocally that unless someone just hands you a steal, any old truck up there will either be a pile of crap if it’s cheap or way overpriced if it’s clean. And your idea of not rusty is skewed by life in the rust belt.
Example. Stopped n looked at an 80s C20 couple weeks ago in Oregon. Typical old truck few dents n dings. Interior was basically shot. Some leaks had fixed themselves by the crust of goo surrounding them.
But it started, ran, drove and had zero rust and only normal dents n dings.
I repeat NO rust. Not, only gotta replace 1 running board and a little on the rear fenders. I mean nothing rusted through.
Price? $850 is what he was asking.
THAT is what I’m talking about.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nother eggzample.
Have bought my sis, who lives in Eagle River, a couple cars in the last few years. Long story.....
Form here, average run of the mill 10+ years old whatever’s. $5000 or less normal used cars.
Every single person who looks at or works on them for her is blown away that everything isn’t rusted together.
You don’t know what you’re missing even though you don’t appear to want to listen.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

Another fact, in the late 1970's and into the 1980's GM experimented with their cams. Many small blocks required the 60,000 mile plus extended tune up, cam and lifters. Throw in a timing chain and gears too. The chances of you buying one of these now with the original cam is very slim..............

I'm wondering if my '81 was one of these. It was a low mileage engine/truck but the timing chain had a ton of slack in it when I went to swap camshafts.

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
So, Ive been paying down some debt and working a lot of hours. In a month I will have no debt and then I plan to work and save a good amount over the summer(I have a lot of projects to do, fortunately I can do most of it without buying stuff).
I also have all of fall and technically winter, but would prefer to buy another before winter or I would just assume wait till spring, because I dont want to use it in the snow. Maybe.

THESE NEXT THREE PARAGRAPHS IN ITALICS ARE A RAMBLE OF THOUGHTS, ARE NOT NECESSARY TO THREAD QUESTION
Question is, is there something I should look for? I am a fan of round eyes, would like a half ton, prefer long bed, and would lean toward 2wd but all four of those details can be reasoned with if I find a good deal or a nice condition truck.
I see a lot of 82-85s go for sale around me, typically long bed short cab 4wd, but since my experience with squares are 1978 and 1980, are there any suggested years for various features?

AC, manual/auto, electric windows, etc are all not deciding factors for me. Since I have a manual, an automatic doesnt bother me. Are 700rs good transmissions, or should I stick with a TH350? Any engine options ever offered just complete crap? I have experience with small blocks, so 305, 350, 400 would all be okay to me. Big blocks fascinate me, ive never seen one. I love inline 6s. 250/292 have any big issues?

Are there places to look for rust I might not think of? Differential options to be weary of? Gear ratios to be preferred(economy would be welcomed, but 4.10 is badass so could swing).
THIS IS THE END, HERE IS THE QUESTION

Basically, what should I, assuming I go look at a square, look for when I check it out. Are there good years / bad years Ive got some ideas based on what I own now, but collective knowledge is welcome wisdom. Im thinking my range is gonna be 2 to 6k when the time comes, but of course good deals and circumstances could change. I see some nice condition squares run about 5k on fb.
I don't know how much work you want to do. But I have a 1976 Custom Deluxe 350 4spd 4WD long bed that I have owned since new. (Not the one in my picture) It ran when I parked it 9 years ago. I would just like to get rid of it to someone who could restore it. I was going to restore, but came across the one in the picture. I would let it go for cheap, say, 1000. PM me if you want pictures and want to discuss it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@AuroraGirl
It's been a year and a half. How we doing on this "new" truck thing?
Over arching situations and circumstances have happened. Such as 1 year ago today I was in jail for a couple hours yet.

And a week before that waking up in an er

**** crazy

The passsion and heart is still here <3 but the money is in the not car things like house stuff. Boring right

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gewil