I'll need tons of help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Welcome from Texas. Nice lookin truck, you came to the right place for help. What's the problem? Not saying I can answer it but, I know somebody here can.

Jeff Thorsgaard

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I am pleased with all the "Hellos". Sometimes ya find a forum and it's stagnant as hell, so I think this will be a good one. I'm not doing a frame up resto or anything, but I would like to have a nice, tight, well running pickup. Two things come to mind about what's wrong with it, mechanically: At about 20 mph, she just bounces like crazy, and the box shimmys side to side. A mechanic friend told me it might be spring bushings, another told me to check U-joints. Bought new U-joints but upon removing the driveshaft, the seals on the joints looked good (not cracked or beat), and they seemed pretty tight. I've done plenty of U joints, and have a farm background, so I'm not real convinced they were bad, so they're actually living in the glove compartment right now. It may be the problem, but I'm gonna take it to the local "Bee Line" alignment shop. Those guys are geniuses! If ya need any other info about the gal, let me know. It's got an original 40,000 miles on it...Pretty nice shape for 40 yr old Virgin.. I got one hell of a clunk putting it in gear, and all I can think of is rear diff. Not a real seasoned hand at 4WD either, but I got some real good advice from an ex brother-in-law as to where to give the grease. I'll check back sometime this week or weekend for advice.. I'm a pretty busy dude - makin wine, installing a light bar, getting a 54" eco-solvent printer going, insulating a 93 GMC van to make into a boondocker...

-LOL
Jeff

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I am pleased with all the "Hellos". Sometimes ya find a forum and it's stagnant as hell, so I think this will be a good one. I'm not doing a frame up resto or anything, but I would like to have a nice, tight, well running pickup. Two things come to mind about what's wrong with it, mechanically: At about 20 mph, she just bounces like crazy, and the box shimmys side to side. A mechanic friend told me it might be spring bushings, another told me to check U-joints. Bought new U-joints but upon removing the driveshaft, the seals on the joints looked good (not cracked or beat), and they seemed pretty tight. I've done plenty of U joints, and have a farm background, so I'm not real convinced they were bad, so they're actually living in the glove compartment right now. It may be the problem, but I'm gonna take it to the local "Bee Line" alignment shop. Those guys are geniuses! If ya need any other info about the gal, let me know. It's got an original 40,000 miles on it...Pretty nice shape for 40 yr old Virgin.. I got one hell of a clunk putting it in gear, and all I can think of is rear diff. Not a real seasoned hand at 4WD either, but I got some real good advice from an ex brother-in-law as to where to give the grease. I'll check back sometime this week or weekend for advice.. I'm a pretty busy dude - makin wine, installing a light bar, getting a 54" eco-solvent printer going, insulating a 93 GMC van to make into a boondocker...

-LOL
Jeff

Please dont put a light bar on the roof. Try like in the grill, behind it, or the bumper. Just not on the roof. Lol

Sure most of us will have your 4x4 answers.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
The bounce and shimmy, could it be tires? Bad belt or wheel weights missing? Clunck could be slack in the chain in the transfer case, if its a np203, like mine. Also, if it is a full time transfer case especially, the clunck could just be small amounts of slack in many places in the driveline adding up.

BryanC

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Welcome!

I agree with checking the tires. My brother had a Suburban that vibrated like crazy on the freeway. The tire shop checked the balance on the tires and checked if the rims were bent, all good. Problem went away when he bought new tires.

Do you have a 2 piece drive shaft? I've had noise and vibration as the center support bearing was dying a slow death.

P.S. My wife told me it was OK that my mid-life crisis was to buy myself a project truck. That way she knows I'll be home all the time (working on it) and we would have something to sell if we ran out of cash.;)

Jeff Thorsgaard

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Tires and rims are brand new, and it shakes and shimmies exactly as it did when I bought it with original (to me) tires and wagon whites.. I'll transfer the help about this to the appropriate subject lines.. I guess this is the wrong place for it..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969