Ignition won't turn back after new parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Masziviot

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I have a 78 c30 and when I got it the ignition was stuck on the on position and wouldn't go back any. The truck would still start though. I put a new ignition switch and ignition lock cylinder, but I still am having the problem haven't fully reassembled the steering column yet because I'm still trying to find the issue. I tore or down to the gear and spring to try to find the issue but couldn't find the problem still.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Tilt or non-tilt?

Likely just the switch at the bottom of the column is out of adjustment.

Masziviot

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Tilt or non-tilt?

Likely just the switch at the bottom of the column is out of adjustment.
Tilt, I tried with out the ignition switched hooked up and still couldn't get it to turn back.

Vic85K10

Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
First time posting but I went through this similar situation about a month ago.

Have you torn down the column far enough to view the sector gear and ignition rack? Does the ignition rack move when you turn the cylinder with the key?

On mine I wasn't able to start the truck because the ignition rack had broken into three pieces. Just my 2 cents.

Masziviot

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
First time posting but I went through this similar situation about a month ago.

Have you torn down the column far enough to view the sector gear and ignition rack? Does the ignition rack move when you turn the cylinder with the key?

On mine I wasn't able to start the truck because the ignition rack had broken into three pieces. Just my 2 cents.
I have it torn down to the little black gear that gets turned by the ignition lock cylinder and it all looks fine there but didn't tear it down any further because don't have the tool to take out the threaded pins

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
It's about a $7 tool and very handy. Made by Lisle.

Vic85K10

Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Alrighty, when you turn the cylinder lock can you see the ignition rack move, along with the rod that goes down to the ignition switch? If the rod doesn't move with the key its likely the ignition rack that's broken.

Masziviot

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Alrighty, when you turn the cylinder lock can you see the ignition rack move, along with the rod that goes down to the ignition switch? If the rod doesn't move with the key its likely the ignition rack that's broken.
The rod does move

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
I have it torn down to the little black gear that gets turned by the ignition lock cylinder and it all looks fine there but didn't tear it down any further because don't have the tool to take out the threaded pins

put a screw in the pin leave enough sticking up to get ahold of it with a pair of needle nose pliers. the pry out on the pin it will come out without special tools...

Vic85K10

Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Grab that tool or do what C10MixMaster said to tear the column down more so you can get better visuals on it.

In my case the rack would still push the rod every now and then to start the truck until it finally gave out and felt like the cylinder lock was broken.

Best of luck!

Masziviot

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Okay, thanks for the help after I got home, I tore it down the rest of the way to get a full look. The ignition rack was twisted and the rod was slightly bent so when I have the money I'm ordering the rebulld kit with bearings and also ordering a rod.

Masziviot

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I have the steering column tore down and ordered the ignition rack and the bearings. The bearing races were gone I just don't know where the lower bearing race goes because when I pulled the rest down to the ignition rack it fell apart and I didn't get to see where it actually goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS