I need ideas on where to get a rubber mat for the whole cab floor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Instead of carpet, I wish to get rubber matting for the whole floor of my automatic 79 K10. I notice LMC has what I'm looking for, I'm just curious if I can get better quality or maybe get it cheaper somewhere else. Thanks!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
My dad had ordered the whole floor mat thru the local Chevy dealer. When he got it he wasn't impressed at all. Very thin- and just felt like low quality. He returned it and ordered the one thru LMC. I helped him put it in. I liked it so much I ordered one for my truck also. That was probably 6 years ago- but has held up beautifully.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah chances are I'll be getting that one as it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm just not one to impluse buy and I like to see what's out there.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Really? The LMC was better quality? I want one too for my 4x4 project. I want a rubber floor. I think I'm going to leave the faded carpet in too as an additional sound barrier and backing for the black mat. I think it'll look better and better supported and last long with with the OEM carpet left in place. :shrug:

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I bought the heavy duty one through LMC last time. It was nice and strong, but did not fit for crap. Took almost a whole day to trim if and fit it and still got wrinkles in trans tunnel area. It has held up good just not a show quality replacement.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm not looking for show quality, but it'd be nice to have something I don't need to work on all day. When did you get it?

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I bought mine through LMC, was around $200 if I remember right

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I just had to remove mine today as I found the floor was rusting below it. Looks like water might be leaking in from my manual vents and then soaks into the insulation...

It is still nice and flexible, and I didn't have any wrinkles in it.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah I forgt about that too, carpet would dry out much quicker than a rubber mat. Granted I'm doing a cab swap and I'm epically prepping this cab to avoid rust, maybe I am better off with carpet. I will be off roading and winter driving this thing often.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Nice find, and thanks! How was the fit? Was it a lot of work to get it in, or any trimming needed?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The seat, door sills, kick plates, transfer case shifter floor cover, and seat belts were taken out.

I did it on a hot summer day. Layed it out on the tar to get it nice and supple. Had a big rubber mallet and a heat gun on hand to help form it to the contours of the floor.

They give you a bit of extra material on all sides that needs to be trimmed.

I used adhesive spray to anchor the jute down to the steel floor. When I had the jute smoothed out and trimmed, I attempted to lay the vinyl.

I tried to do it by myself - that sucked! I strongly suggest at least one helper. Get two if possible, this matting is heavy.

Another suggestion - take the time to remove not only the transfer case shift floor cover but also the lever. Laying and smoothing the rubber with it sticking up in the middle was a wicked hassle!

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Damn, it sounds like a hassle. Maybe I should just bedliner the floor lol.

Thanks, I'll take a couple days to really think about what I want to do for the floor.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Damn, it sounds like a hassle.

Oh yeah - it is!

Worst part is that I f*cked it up pretty bad. If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would have just gotten the molded carpet in Charcoal. Same price as vinyl (without any upgrades).

I installed one of these a few years ago and it installed so easy compared to the heavy vinyl. It was a little lumpy at first, but after a few weeks it just layed down and conformed to the floor. Looked like factory.

When I am done with this restore and the floor pans have been renewed (but still raw steel), I am going to invest in an extra pint of POR-15 and float coat them.

I agree that the vinyl does prevent most of the salt, sand and moisture that comes off your boots from ever getting to the pans. But the trade-off in appearance and ease of installation as opposed to carpet is just not worth it. I know I can get at least two good coats of POR-15 on the floors (maybe 3) and the cost for a pint is only $25.

Once the POR-15 is down and cured, any corrosion on that steel will only occur on the underside.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I didn't even think of that either. I have a gallon of POR 15 waiting for my frame when I do the cab swap. I think I'll just go carpet and throw some rubber floor mats down for winter and 4wheeling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90_burb