i need help with wheel studs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ok guys. i really need help. im replacing my rotors and im stuck. im putting in my old wheels studs through my new rotors into my old hubs. ive got them all in but its still like 1/16-1/8 loose between my hubs and rotors. i tried the nut with washer deal and cranking them on but that just wouldnt do it. where do i go from here. thanks

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
take a punch and drive them in from the back side with a big hammer

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You need a big punch, a sledgehammer, and a buddy that trusts you (to hold the punch, lol).

Otherwise, you can find someone with a compressor and air hammer, or borrow a loaner ball joint press and use that. I think the press will clear the rotor, I don't remember for sure. There's other ways too, just have to get creative.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ok thanks guys. i appreciate it

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ok,.. i beat the living **** out of all 6 studs alternating opposites for a solid 30 minutes. they all seem to be an even 1/16 inch loose. as in the hub rotor combo has a slight gap/play to it. what the hell.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I used a good air chisel with a punch attachment and when that wouldnt do it I used a 2 pound hammer. If you're using anything less than a 2 pound hammer (claw hammer, medium ball-peen, etc) forget it.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i was usin a 5 pound hand maul. im takin them to our local machine shop to have em pressed in. theyre a couple of brothers that own the place and theyre always very fair.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I just kad to do this On my K30. The easiest way would be to use the tool MADE for it. basically it is a heavy heavy duty bearing that goes inbetween the hub and the lug nut turned around backwards. BUT most people dont have it so the next best bet is to spray the holes and studs with penetrating oil, then drive them in as far as you can with a big hammer. THEN take all your lug nuts and start them on all the studs BACKWARDS. Use an impact and draw them down as tight as you can get them. That will pull them in a ways more. Then turn it back over and beat them the rest of the way in with the BFH.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
hmm. didnt have an impact either. lets hope the guys at the machine shop dont **** up my new rotors.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
well they did them right. very pleased, but 52 bucks... each rotor (summit brand-drilled and slotted) was 52 bucks. ouchhh. well, better than my wheel vibrating to all hell. see ya guys

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
ouch

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just kad to do this On my K30. The easiest way would be to use the tool MADE for it. basically it is a heavy heavy duty bearing that goes inbetween the hub and the lug nut turned around backwards. BUT most people dont have it so the next best bet is to spray the holes and studs with penetrating oil, then drive them in as far as you can with a big hammer. THEN take all your lug nuts and start them on all the studs BACKWARDS. Use an impact and draw them down as tight as you can get them. That will pull them in a ways more. Then turn it back over and beat them the rest of the way in with the BFH.

Several greased fender washers also work OK if you don't have the tool. I have a 3-piece bearing from an old Caravan AC compressor that works great too, it has outlasted the proper installers that often wear out.

If you had that much trouble getting the studs in the rotors, the stud holes may have been just a smidge too small. If that's the case, I hope they actually pressed them in, rather than pulling them in by the threads.

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
I have ran across a few that wer tight, i installed them adn installed the wheel. I gan get ore torque on the studs with a 4 way. Rechecked them after a short drive. Tightened then right up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcon73