I have a question, hoping to get some help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonathonmb357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
292 cubic inch inline-six
@Grit dog Okay, thank you for the advice, I understand a little better now. So I should approach buying it with a lot of caution.

Jonathonmb357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
@Bextreme04 I gotcha! Thank you very much. Yea, I don't see myself paying $800 for a motorhome engine and transmission. lol

Jonathonmb357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
@nvrenuf Honestly this is more advice than I could ask for, thank you very much! Yea, it would suck to buy and engine and find it's roached. lol

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Keep in mind when people are selling their junk... if no one buys it they end up paying to get rid of it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If the engine is not stuck and it looks clean inside, the asking price is very fair. A motor home 454 is essentially the same as a pickup truck 454 of the same year. One thing to keep in mind, motor homes often were not driven a whole lot and tend to have low miles compared to a pickup.

Also, I seriously doubt that the engine or trans are just junk cores. Motorhomes and campers often get water leaks with age and everything rots out. Someone probably removed the engine and trans from a motor home because it was the only thing of real value, the rest of the motor home was junk.

Jonathonmb357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
@bucket Thank you for the awesome information! I appreciate the time you put into it. I now know a lot more about motorhome big blocks than I did a minute ago! lol

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
If the engine is not stuck and it looks clean inside, the asking price is very fair. A motor home 454 is essentially the same as a pickup truck 454 of the same year. One thing to keep in mind, motor homes often were not driven a whole lot and tend to have low miles compared to a pickup.

Also, I seriously doubt that the engine or trans are just junk cores. Motorhomes and campers often get water leaks with age and everything rots out. Someone probably removed the engine and trans from a motor home because it was the only thing of real value, the rest of the motor home was junk.
Agreed, whether it came from a motorhome or a pickup or a car, it's basically the exact same engine with mostly just some different accessories/brackets. And I agree, it will have probably have less mileage on it than something that was driven extensively.

Though I still don't like the idea of buying an engine that I can't hear/see running, it does not guarantee it is bad. Heck, you might even be able to use that as a bargaining chip in your favor. It does appear to be just sitting outside under a tarp with the distributor taken out, so hopefully it hasn't been sitting long getting moisture inside. Also that listing SUCKS, dude provided literally zero info about it and even spelled "big" block wrong, you could be dealing with an moron here. Proceed with caution.

I would say though, going from a 292 to a 454 would basically make it an entirely different truck, what a huge step up lol. That would be super cool if it is a good runner, but don't get your hopes up and throw money at it until you know more

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
When you buy used running gear that cannot be tested or seen running, you have assume it does not work and something major is broken. Then make a bid accordingly. This is not the time to be an optimist, since it usually costs you money.

Jonathonmb357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Agreed, whether it came from a motorhome or a pickup or a car, it's basically the exact same engine with mostly just some different accessories/brackets. And I agree, it will have probably have less mileage on it than something that was driven extensively.

Though I still don't like the idea of buying an engine that I can't hear/see running, it does not guarantee it is bad. Heck, you might even be able to use that as a bargaining chip in your favor. It does appear to be just sitting outside under a tarp with the distributor taken out, so hopefully it hasn't been sitting long getting moisture inside. Also that listing SUCKS, dude provided literally zero info about it and even spelled "big" block wrong, you could be dealing with an moron here. Proceed with caution.

I would say though, going from a 292 to a 454 would basically make it an entirely different truck, what a huge step up lol. That would be super cool if it is a good runner, but don't get your hopes up and throw money at it until you know more
Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it a lot. I shall approach with caution, though I tend to be a little optimistic at times. lol

Jonathonmb357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
When you buy used running gear that cannot be tested or seen running, you have assume it does not work and something major is broken. Then make a bid accordingly. This is not the time to be an optimist, since it usually costs you money.
I understand that, thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's always the possibility that a used engine could be junk, but normally a better chance that it is not.

I've bought a lot of used engines over the years, not a single one have I heard run first. Leaving it in the vehicle is usually not economical for the seller or the buyer. In this case, I'm sure the seller did not want the rotted motor home sitting around while they found a buyer that would come see the engine running, then come back a second time with cash, once the owner found time in their potentially busy schedule to remove the engine. Realistically, very few engines are sold in "I saw it run for myself" condition. Just like buying one from a salvage yard. Nobody buys an engine from a salvage yard after saying that they will only pay core value because they didn't hear it run. Why would a private sale be any different?

Jonathonmb357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
There's always the possibility that a used engine could be junk, but normally a better chance that it is not.

I've bought a lot of used engines over the years, not a single one have I heard run first. Leaving it in the vehicle is usually not economical for the seller or the buyer. In this case, I'm sure the seller did not want the rotted motor home sitting around while they found a buyer that would come see the engine running, then come back a second time with cash, once the owner found time in their potentially busy schedule to remove the engine. Realistically, very few engines are sold in "I saw it run for myself" condition. Just like buying one from a salvage yard. Nobody buys an engine from a salvage yard after saying that they will only pay core value because they didn't hear it run. Why would a private sale be any different?
I see what you mean! Thank you.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI

After working in multiple salvage yards for years when I was younger, any engine or tranny sold is guaranteed to be a runner without serious issues (head gaskets, burnt clutches, etc), if for some reason they can't verify it because the car is wrecked to oblivion or whatever they will at least replace/refund. There are a few salvage yards out there that are scheisters and thieves but they're usually well known to be crap, and are generally not part of the network. Private sellers on CL (illiterate ones at that) could sell you a frozen dog turd and say it's a Klondike bar, and once you realize the difference it's all "buyer beware". I've never personally been burned, but know people who have. And not proud to admit, but in my late teens/early 20s I may or may not have personally sold two or three "I'll be surprised if the poor SOB makes it home" vehicles with the buyer beware, sold as-is mindframe. While I feel bad about it now, there are plenty of people out there who habitually sell junk don't give two sh!ts about you if it helps them earn a buck. Generally I can tell who is full of crap after a couple minute phone call, but some people are still too trusting.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Most of the salvage yards I have ever dealt with, will have run a compression test on each engine and usually have a 90 day guarantee. When you buy an engine from a private party there are usually NO guarantees expressed even if you know that person very well. Just my experience and .02 cents worth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84