I can't drive.....fifty fiiive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Put some miles on the truck the past few days since the NV4500 swap. All I can say is Holy **** the truck is a whole new beast!

Around town it's 1,2 and 3rd. Hit the highway and slide that puppy into OD and she settles right down and purrs like a kitten. The 4:56 gears are perfect.

It was a shitload of work to convert from the auto but worth every ounce of time, money and energy.

Carry on.

You must be registered for see images attach

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
@SquareRoot You put a 5 speed manual in this baby? I had to look up WTF you were talking about :D The google searched turned up cool stuff. I always thought a manual in my dually build would be sweet, maybe some other year though. I think that would be sweet to hear the 4-bbl's open up then slam it into another gear to hear them open up again :cool:

Do you have a thread on this swap?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@SquareRoot You put a 5 speed manual in this baby? I had to look up WTF you were talking about :D The google searched turned up cool stuff. I always thought a manual in my dually build would be sweet, maybe some other year though. I think that would be sweet to hear the 4-bbl's open up then slam it into another gear to hear them open up again :cool:

Do you have a thread on this swap?

No gear slammin. It shifts like a truck. Let off the gas, give it 1-2 seconds and then it just effortlessly clicks into gear. It actually reminds me of driving the big rig.

I don't have a dedicated build thread. I've posted on it a lot the past month. Frankenchevy and I were doing the same thing at the same time. Look in the trans section or recent posts from my profile page.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That’s nice rpms for 4.56s. What size tires?
Do you have the real deep first gear or a later model trans ?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That’s nice rpms for 4.56s. What size tires?
Do you have the real deep first gear or a later model trans ?

Stock K20 size tires. I think they're 31 inch diameter. Current trans is a 93 model with the low 6:34 low gear. Unless you're creeping at idle or pulling a stump, you may never use it. It tops out real quick.

1st gear goes by quick from standing starts. Around town most of the time is spent in second and third gear. There's a noticeable drop in rpm from 3rd to OD. It's also noticeable that there's no fluid connection as exists in an automatic. It's direct and you feel it.

I recently discovered that my "other" NV4500 that I bought out of a 94 has the "early" bellhousing bolt pattern BUT has the removable shift tower and newer 5:61 low gear. I'm going to do a complete rebuild on it and have it as a spare trans. Fortunately, my current AA bellhousing will fit both. I'll do that over the summer and provide a detailed writeup with lots of pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^ That's even more impressive with not large tires.

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
Have u tried starting out in 2nd gear? I only use 1st gear when I'm towing and I'm shifting to 2nd at maybe 5mph! I have the later version with the higher ratio 1st gear.
I running 3.73 with a 31.5" tall tire.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Have u tried starting out in 2nd gear? I only use 1st gear when I'm towing and I'm shifting to 2nd at maybe 5mph! I have the later version with the higher ratio 1st gear.
I running 3.73 with a 31.5" tall tire.

Yes, most of the time I can start in 2nd without lugging the engine. I think some folks confuse 1st gear with "L". Basically, I drive a three speed with a super low "granny" gear and an OD on the other end.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be a really low. Imagine running 35 or 38s. Your about as low a gear as you can get. I wonder 8f you could even pull OD with that size tire?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
You must be a really low. Imagine running 35 or 38s. Your about as low a gear as you can get. I wonder 8f you could even pull OD with that size tire?

You'd have to run the numbers. It's great to know what tires will work with your gears, that way you have options. I have done this with each of my vehicles that I tinker with tires sizes, that way I can get the optimum rpm for what I am wanting to do, which is mostly highway, but still be able to tow if I need to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512