454 SM465 4.10 vs 3.73 vs 3.54

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
My swap will be going from 350/TH400/NP205 to 454/4l80/np205 with 4.10's and 35's, so the numbers work very well RPM wise. I think the biggest gain you would get from going to the 4L80 over the TH400 is going to be the 4th gear when unloaded and the lockup torque converter that will really help keep it cool and drop the RPM by several hundred when pulling. Its also nice to be able to dial in your shift points and pressures with the computer. You can also wire in a switch for a tow/haul mode with a factory ECU.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Lots of good discussion here.
Couple things to add.
1. Either you add overdrive somehow way shape or form, or you can’t maximize towing power AND high speed cruising. If ya could, overdrive transmissions would have never been invented.
2. You’re being optimistic on tire height vs rpm’s. With the 465 it’ll be direct and rpms more true and closer to theoretical than say a th400 with no lockup. But th3 tires you’re using will have an effective diameter of maybe 31” when new and less with tire wear. You’ll be more accurate using a tire height about 1” less diameter than theoretical.
3. Agree 4.56 especially with the 465 and big block power/low revving high inertia engine is too low. Like someone said, first gear will be like 6million:1. Lol. 4.10s and no OD will still be miserable for bobtail on the highway. And with the short tires 3.73 is as deep as I’d even consider if I wanted to bomb down the road at 75mph for any length of time.
Back to #1. Do you want it to be the best at towing and prohibitive to drive fast for hours or do you want mediocre towing and the ability to cruise at 75?
Whatever you do will be a compromise without OD.
Are you building an engine or is it a stock smogger? Gotta put the money somewhere… you can sacrifice deep gearing for horsepower and maintain highway manners, or put some real quiet mufflers on the smogger, gear it down, get some Bose noise canceling headphones for 80mph road trips and run’er until she tosses a rod!

IMO I can’t see restoring an old truck, putting a pile of time and $ into it and then using it as a work truck. Especially if you have a big bombed newer diesel parked right next to it.
I love the ole 454/400/4.10 truck and it goes our 6klb boat just as fast as you wanna go. But there’s a zero % chance I’d hook it up for a 3 or 4 hour tow, having a 2016 Ram diesel parked right next to it.
First part is objective. Last part is solely opinion.
It sounds like an awesome build no matter where you end up for gearing and transmission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
My normal family hauler/tow vehicle is a 2011 Suburban with a 5.3/6l80. It came from the factory with 3.05 gears and was a real turd when trying to pull grades with our 6500lb travel trailer. I rebuilt the diffs with 4.10's, rebuilt the trans with some heavy duty parts and put a big external cooler on it, and it made all the difference in the world. With the 4.10's and ~33" tires the first few gears pull just like my square with the TH400 and 4.10's/35's and it can get into 6th gear when unloaded on the highway which puts the engine at about 2200rpm at 75mph. Towing it usually doesn't get out of 5th gear and 65mph is about 2500rpm, which is perfect for the small 5.3. When I go to pull a big hill it will drop to 3rd and unlock the converter, which lets it come up to 3500-4k. The 6L80 has a very different setup to the earlier transmissions and has no problem pulling in OD due to how the clutch packs are set up. Both 5th and 6th gear are OD gears. It is also fully electronically controlled, so you can tune line pressure and TCC lock/unlock in any gear or situation(RPM/MPH/engine load.. etc)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey