I am going to install the Vintage AC in my 1979

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tackelbarry

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Sierra
Engine Size
GMC K 25. Who has the best price on a complete kit? Thanks in advance.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Vintage Air sells the complete kit for $1350.

Tackelbarry

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Sierra
Engine Size
I know I can order it from Vintage Air. I was looking for a better price. I found several vendors selling the kit for $1250.00 and also talked with one that was less than $1200.00. Of course, now I cannot remember who the sub $1200 price was.

Tackelbarry

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Sierra
Engine Size
I ordered it from Summit. They matched the Ebay price and it should be here soon. I will let everyone know how the install goes.

Tackelbarry

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Sierra
Engine Size
Did you change your pulleys? If so did you do the two and three groove v-belts or did you do the serpentine conversion? Thanks.

Tackelbarry

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Sierra
Engine Size
I started the install today and so far it seems pretty easy and straight forward. I am hoping to finish it up tomorrow. I will update and let you know about the end result.

Tackelbarry

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Sierra
Engine Size
What a day! I have a friend who has a home shop and we did the rest of the install today. Yesterday I removed the inner fender panel, front grill, and did the mods to the drivers side for the new vents in the dash.
Today we started by removing the radiator, fan shroud, hood latches, as well as the crank shaft pulley, water pump pulley, and the power steering pulley. We replaced them with two and three groove pulleys. The three groove was for the crank shaft. The firewall mods were straight forward and simple. Just follow the directions. We had to modify the, Vintage Air, air compressor bracket so it did not hit the power steering bracket and would line up properly. We also installed a clutched fan ( better air draw) on the end of the water pump. I still cannot believe we got the system installed and cooling in basically one long day. I still have to put the front grill and trim back on, new inner fender panel, and button up the glove box and the small panels under the steering column. I am also going to use wire looms to clean everything up under the hood. The system blows hard and the thermometer showed 47 degrees at the center vent. I know I forgot something, but it was definitely worth the work.

Last edited:

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
What a day! I have a friend who has a home shop and we did the rest of the install today. Yesterday I removed the inner fender panel, front grill, and did the mods to the drivers side for the new vents in the dash.
Today we started by removing the radiator, fan shroud, hood latches, as well as the crank shaft pulley, water pump pulley, and the power steering pulley. We replaced them with two and three groove pulleys. The three groove was for the crank shaft. The firewall mods were straight forward and simple. Just follow the directions. We had to modify the, Vintage Air, air compressor bracket so it did not hit the power steering bracket and would line up properly. We also installed a clutched fan ( better air draw) on the end of the water pump. I still cannot believe we got the system installed and cooling in basically one long day. I still have to put the front grill and trim back on, new inner fender panel, and button up the glove box and the small panels under the steering column. I am also going to use wire looms to clean everything up under the hood. The system blows hard and the thermometer showed 47 degrees at the center vent. I know I forgot something, but it was definitely worth the work.

Nice! I'm thinking of getting this for my 73. Did the system require the new pulleys or could you have used your old ones? Do you have any pics of the installed system in your engine bay? Thanks.

Tackelbarry

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Sierra
Engine Size
From what I was told the pulleys are necessary. They definitely make it easy go get the belts aligned properly. The power steering was the only one that I had to use a puller on. I have to use my truck on a daily basis so we had to hit it hard so I could be back on the road after the weekend. I did the glove box modification yesterday and the truck is back to what it was, plus AC. The only other thing I need to do is install a fast idle solenoid so the idle picks when the compressor kicks on.
I will try to take some pictures and post them.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
From what I was told the pulleys are necessary. They definitely make it easy go get the belts aligned properly. The power steering was the only one that I had to use a puller on. I have to use my truck on a daily basis so we had to hit it hard so I could be back on the road after the weekend. I did the glove box modification yesterday and the truck is back to what it was, plus AC. The only other thing I need to do is install a fast idle solenoid so the idle picks when the compressor kicks on.
I will try to take some pictures and post them.

Great, please do. Did you lose your glove box from the install? I read that you do, which isn't something I would want to lose.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Nice! I'm thinking of getting this for my 73. Did the system require the new pulleys or could you have used your old ones? Do you have any pics of the installed system in your engine bay? Thanks.

I didn't need new pulleys and you retain some of your glove box. I wold say about 30 to 40%. Pics from my install.

You must be registered for see images attach

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Wow, that looks so clean! Thanks for the pics. Any chance you have any of the glove box?

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Not at this time,I am working on the dash area. Need to finish the ducting, radio and the modified ash tray to hold some switches. Glove box will be the last piece of the dash area puzzle.

Page 18 of the instruction manual shows the modifications for the glove box.

http://www.vintageair.com/Instructions2013/904184.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76