I’m in love - here’s the truck I’m dating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm in the same boat. I've never understood the hatred for long beds, there is really no disadvantages to them from a utility perspective. What I find even more bizarre, is the amount of people that go through the trouble of shortening them. Chopping a perfectly solid frame, and bed just to lose two feet in length seems a little extreme to me; but if that's what some folks are into, more power to them. Their wallet, their choice.

It's no different than chopping a top on a '32 Ford. Sure you lose some function, but it looks cool.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It's no different than chopping a top on a '32 Ford. Sure you lose some function, but it looks cool.
Not to everyone. Some of us don't like it at all.

I respect the opinions of others and I admire the craftsmanship but I prefer a standard height 2wd, and I have nothing against a long bed. I remember using square body trucks to haul things and pull things. My wife and I agreed to buy something we could use for work and play. I am doing exactly that.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I forgot to mention, it looks like a pretty nice old truck for the money, in my opinion. Yeah there is going to be a lot of things that need dealt with to make it exceptionally nice, but that's just how it is buying an old truck. The rear cab mount rubbers do seem to be failing, but that is extremely common and should be considered a normal repair.

Overall, it looks fairly solid and perfectly usable as-is, plus it has a nice list of features and colors.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I’ve had my truck for about 20 years, and it started out looking like a train wreck (actually it was from a tractor tire rolling down a hill☺️).

Getting it painted and having the front fenders and hood replaced was the most expensive fix, but I think yours only needs minor body work. I replaced the cab support bushings one at a time, with it parked in the driveway, using a kit I bought from RockAuto.

If the engine craps out, go big or go home (more or less). The original 1980 350 has poor flowing heads and a very lame cam, so try to find something with Vortec heads and a cam in a duration of about 210-214 @ .050. You can easily get 325hp and still have the pulling torque you need.

I haul landscape gravel and dirt in mine fairly often. Mine is rated at 2650 lbs in the bed, but 3000 lbs is no issue. I made a mistake once when hauling brick and managed to get 5000 lbs into the bed. It creaked quite a bit, but nothing broke.

Soundmound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
If you plan to spend between $17,500 and $18,500 all in you could easily buy one that is complete and ready to go. I saw a 79 k20 in near mint condition go no reserve on fleabay for $10,900 a couple weeks ago. I was REALLY tempted to charge it to my PayPal lol.
I had to share how obscenely cheap this rig went for. I'm still kicking myself.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7

Down here that is around $25K if you are in a hurry to sell it. $30K plus if you are willing to wait.

Terry Wilkerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
You need to call or go online and get a LMC truck catalog. 800-562-8782.
They will have a lot of stuff you'll need.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
You need to call or go online and get a LMC truck catalog. 800-562-8782.
They will have a lot of stuff you'll need.
You're about to make this man go bankrupt, lol. On a serious note, LMC, and USA1 industries are both good places to look for the little things, body panels and the various interior bits.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size

Their first mistake was starting the bid at no reserve. That truck could've have sold for triple that on a lot.

Royal Sierra 454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
15 GMC Royal Sierra
Engine Size
One of the best things about this truck is that it's pretty much unmolested. Some of these other trucks that have a fresh cheap paint job, who know what's going on under that paint? I'd pay that price. Let us know if you pull the trigger on it.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
One of the best things about this truck is that it's pretty much unmolested. Some of these other trucks that have a fresh cheap paint job, who know what's going on under that paint? I'd pay that price. Let us know if you pull the trigger on it.
I did end up buying it for $2500. I was able to find 16s with some nice lightly used tires with a spare for only $200 so that was great. I’ve identified some problems since buying it, largest being the exhaust manifold on each side is cracked (pic). I’ve heard you can crack the bolts doing that pretty easily so I’m weary of making that mistake. I see white smoke only when I start it up that I hadn’t noticed before, probably because I wasn’t paying attention, but it goes away immediately. So that’s concerning but is what it is. Steering always squealed but I was able to look under the hood while my wife turned the wheel. It’s possible it’s just the belts needing to be adjusted, instead of the steering pump. So I’ll get all new belts and adjust them then. I’ve identified a little more rust than initially saw but it’s not that much more. Overall, I think it’s a good value for the condition and being pretty much untouched. It will keep me busy and I’ll learn a lot. Honestly, I’m just so happy while I’m driving the damn thing and that’s worth it to me!

You must be registered for see images attach

Alaska 79 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Hey everyone!

New here and wanted to share the truck I’m considering buying, and also get opinions on whether I should buy it or not. I don’t need this truck but I want it. I would enjoy a project but would like to know if others share my love for this style. My neighbors offered to sell her to me so we’re hanging out until I decide whether I’m ready to commit or not. Here’s the details and some pictures. Thanks for reading, I’m excited to learn more about my new obsession!

1980 GMC C2500
Sierra Classic - Camper Special
Original charcoal paint
Mystic interior - white/light grey
350-4 V8
110,850 miles

The good:
Runs well and drives decent
Minimal rust
Tilt steering wheel
Everything is original
Body is in good shape, a few dents
A/c and power steering
All lights and blinkers work
Aux fuel tank
Power windows and locks that work

The bad:
Tires have lots of tread but also have some dry rot
Rims are 16.5x6.75, really hard to find tires
No tailgate
Hood is very challenging to close and it has slightly “tacoed”
Both doors are hard to close, driver side definitely needs new hinge
A/c doesn’t work
Radio doesn’t work
Washer fluid doesn’t spray
Both doors need all new weatherstripping and vent windows are pretty rusted out
Steering is loose and squeals pretty bad when parking
Only 1 fuel tank is usable

Thanks,
Jesse

Here is the interior from my 1979. The seat cover has been changed, but the rest is the same as this 1980.

Attachments

• 00459059-93F0-494F-9B2F-3FCBFEF9D13B.jpeg
    00459059-93F0-494F-9B2F-3FCBFEF9D13B.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 60

Royal Sierra 454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
15 GMC Royal Sierra
Engine Size
Awesome! Great buy. It's common for those manifolds to be cracked. If it was me, I would buy a new set of exhaust manifolds. I have had good luck buying from Rock Auto. They have exhaust manifolds new for around $200 a set for your truck.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
Here is the interior from my 1979. The seat cover has been changed, but the rest is the same as this 1980.
Oh awesome, you’ve got the mystic too! Once I get the mechanical stuff addressed I’ll be doing the interior, which I’m so excited to refresh! Thanks for the pic

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
Awesome! Great buy. It's common for those manifolds to be cracked. If it was me, I would buy a new set of exhaust manifolds. I have had good luck buying from Rock Auto. They have exhaust manifolds new for around $200 a set for your truck.
Was just looking at that now, I’m just worried about getting the old ones off. I want to just replace the entire exhaust system. Are there any kits that have manifold, header and exhaust that I won’t have to weld?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84