I’m in love - here’s the truck I’m dating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
Hey everyone!

New here and wanted to share the truck I’m considering buying, and also get opinions on whether I should buy it or not. I don’t need this truck but I want it. I would enjoy a project but would like to know if others share my love for this style. My neighbors offered to sell her to me so we’re hanging out until I decide whether I’m ready to commit or not. Here’s the details and some pictures. Thanks for reading, I’m excited to learn more about my new obsession!

1980 GMC C2500
Sierra Classic - Camper Special
Original charcoal paint
Mystic interior - white/light grey
350-4 V8
110,850 miles

The good:
Runs well and drives decent
Minimal rust
Tilt steering wheel
Everything is original
Body is in good shape, a few dents
A/c and power steering
All lights and blinkers work
Aux fuel tank
Power windows and locks that work

The bad:
Tires have lots of tread but also have some dry rot
Rims are 16.5x6.75, really hard to find tires
No tailgate
Hood is very challenging to close and it has slightly “tacoed”
Both doors are hard to close, driver side definitely needs new hinge
A/c doesn’t work
Radio doesn’t work
Washer fluid doesn’t spray
Both doors need all new weatherstripping and vent windows are pretty rusted out
Steering is loose and squeals pretty bad when parking
Only 1 fuel tank is usable

Thanks,
Jesse

You must be registered for see images attach

Soundmound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum! Appreciate you wading into the testosterone pool lol. Rare color interior and not in bad shape overall, no real rust and a list of general C10 issues we all have experienced. Depending on the ask I'd probably do it.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
Welcome to the forum! Appreciate you wading into the testosterone pool lol. Rare color interior and not in bad shape overall, no real rust and a list of general C10 issues we all have experienced. Depending on the ask I'd probably do it.
Thank you for the welcome and your opinion. So nothing too scary, mostly normal annoying things to fix on an older truck…sounds like I’ll be able to with the assistance of this forum :) Price is $3500. Have no idea if that is high or low.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If it runs well, I'd pay $3500 for it just for the color, mostly. No matter what you buy, everything has something wrong with it. The tthings you listed are minor to me. That's the whole point, getting your rig set up the way YOU like it.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Nice, you are going to want to swap out the radio anyway, all cars/trucks need suspension work. A/C could be expensive but I see you are in Washington, Pull the trigger

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Nice squircle...

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Overall, a great builder or fix a few things and drive a classic cool looking beater that is capable of doing work.
If you’re planning on restoring it, it’s fairly straight but by no means a scuff n squirt level of clean/straight truck.
IMO, $3500 is about top dollar for that truck. You’re not getting a deal by any means but you’re not getting ripped off.

That said, when someone says “I’m sure I’ll be able to fix all that with the help of the forum” you should consider what your plans are for the truck and the costs involved. And then add some for what you don’t know is wrong or don’t know in general.
But welcome, and sweet truck!
I’ve been kinda looking at C20s as they’re generally cheaper than their C10 counterparts apples to apples, and just as easy to lower and mod as a C10 but with stronger chassis and running gear.

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Welcome and yes to the Squircle! All those issues are going to be bound to happen on a 42 yr old truck. Scoop it up and budget out the dough to get it in daily mode, looks like a great truck.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
PS left side cab mounts and door hinges are trashed. And I see some extensive body work needed in a couple spots if you’re planning on restoring.

pnwnvrdn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
SBC
In our "neck of the woods" the price isn't that great.
My reasoning, around here a guy can usually come up with something a bit nicer, needing less, for the difference of less than what it will take to get that one in like/same condition, but without doing the work.
Color combination is a winner though.
Has potential to be quite nice, if you are willing to put in the time/dollars to get it there.
Good luck.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Price seems good if there are no hidden problems. Problems you noted are fairly typical, and unlikely to be difficult to fix if you are handy with repairs. However, I assume the engine and transmission are still also working well, since that would be an expensive fix.

Cheapest fix for tires is to pick up four 16” 8 lug rims from the junkyard. I got mine for my K25 for about $25 each, and I pulled them off Chevy/GMC trucks to make sure they fit and were the same width and offset. I then bought 245/75R16E tires, which are the right diameter/height (about 31”) and load rating for a stock camper special. Up to 33” tires will fit, but larger tires will throw the speedometer off.

The truck probably has a 14 bolt FF axle (good), but with a 4.10 ratio and no overdrive transmission. Not so good for gas mileage.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
Overall, a great builder or fix a few things and drive a classic cool looking beater that is capable of doing work.
If you’re planning on restoring it, it’s fairly straight but by no means a scuff n squirt level of clean/straight truck.
IMO, $3500 is about top dollar for that truck. You’re not getting a deal by any means but you’re not getting ripped off.

That said, when someone says “I’m sure I’ll be able to fix all that with the help of the forum” you should consider what your plans are for the truck and the costs involved. And then add some for what you don’t know is wrong or don’t know in general.
But welcome, and sweet truck!
I’ve been kinda looking at C20s as they’re generally cheaper than their C10 counterparts apples to apples, and just as easy to lower and mod as a C10 but with stronger chassis and running gear.
I might be able to get it for $2500, it was mentioned. The goal for me would be to clean this truck up to use it for home projects and my nursery business, that’s why I prefer the longer bed. I also won’t be getting it lifted or dropping it, I’m a big fan of the way these looked from the factory. The interior needs a gut essentially, but I don’t plan to go crazy. I’ll keep it in the same styling, the seat will probably stay as is. I have no intentions of doing a restoration but want to refresh it so it’s reliable and more comfortable to drive. I like the exterior color a lot and the few dents it has don’t bother me. I’ve done all the work on my 2003 Subaru Outback and 2002 Toyota Camry, so I’m pretty handy and really understand the value of patience in these types of long term projects that can become obsessions. Forums like this obviously don’t do the work for you, but I’ve found them really helpful for my other cars. I know that I’ll likely sink $10k into this car without blinking an eye to just get the basics to where I want them, and assume another $5k for contingencies that might pop up. Are there any thoughts on replacing interior parts with reproductions like from LMC or is only using original parts what most people do? Also why would a C10(1/2 ton) cost more than a C20(3/4 ton)…seems counter intuitive to me?Thank you for your input and advice!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84