HT 383 install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Today's plan was to mount the aftermarket coolant gauge, look over the truck, then put some more miles on it. Got the dash mostly together, found that my vacuum line to the transmission was off. A little piece of rubber hose that goes onto the trans was so soft it was worthless. Then noticed some drips of anti-freeze....

%&%#@!!!! Radiator is leaking. From the bottom of the end tank on the passenger side. I checked, double checked, and triple checked to make sure it wasn't the new hose. It isn't. I have this whole week off and had plans on using this damn truck. Of course it is Sunday so I looked at Autozone/Oreilly auto and all they have is plastic end tank 2 core radiators. I have a brass 4 core that only has 19,000 miles on it. I've only used distilled water and coolant in it also (50/50 mix).

So guess I'll call around to the few radiator shops in the morning and see if they can fix this stupid thing- and hopefully sometime this week. Otherwise I'm tempted to next day air in something else. $$$$$

I'm so pissed at this thing right now.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Couldn't sleep... waiting for the radiator shop to open (I have plans to use this truck for the holiday weekend!). Started reading more about small blocks that use vortec heads and the need for some sort of external coolant bypass.

Found some that said with a high volume water pump routing the heater hose from the intake thru the heater core to the radiator (this was how my 400 was routed) can cause excess pressure in the radiator. Maybe that is why it is leaking? I also have a external coolant bypass from the top port of the water pump to the intake manifold. Still not sure this is correct. After a few hours of searching online I did find this write up:

The deal is this: In the old coolant path water could circulate from the forward portion of the RH head, through a passage in the head gasket, into the block, and out through a 5/16" hole into the coolant pump. Inside the pump this coolant was routed to the inlet side, and the pump would circulate the coolant back through the block. This helped ensure some warm coolant reached the thermostat so the 'stat would open.

As the need for cleaner emissions increased, faster warmup times and better vaporization of fuel became more important along with reducing variation int intake air temperature. Later carburetor and TBI intakes routed coolant from the front of the intake, under the throttle body or carb, and back to the heater hose fitting. Coolant would circulate through the core and return to the pump or on some HD trucks, to the radiator. This routing also provided a faster and more accurate heat signal to the thermostat so it would open properly. Coolant always flowed through the heater circuit and if a restrictor wasn't in place, it could cause overheating as radiator performance began to decrease. In my experience the restrictor is always found at the manifold side (outlet). Although the bypass circuit is still present in the heads, some of the TBI truck blocks do not have the 5/16" hole in the RH side of the block for the bypass circuit. Its been a "gotcha" that guys have had to watch for since the late '80s.

With the '96 and newer 5.7, GM decided to approach faster warmup and consistent temps in a completely new way. They did away with the bypass circuit in the heads and the block and replaced it with a much larger bypass circuit connected externally from the manifold under the thermostat to the water pump. This alone is nothing new. In fact, the Chevy smallblock was one of the few engines that didn't have a large, external bypass circuit prior to '96. But what was new was that the bypass circuit flow was now linked to coolant flow through the radiator. As the thermostat opens to allow coolant out of the manifold to the radiator, it also closes the passage that leads to the bypass circuit. In this way, temperature in the block is encouraged to stay at the same temp as the thermostat opening temp.

When installing Vortec heads on an older engine, you don't have the advantage of either bypass circuit. The old internal ports aren't present in the head and the external passage doesn't exist. Consequently there is no "flow path" for warm coolant to get to the thermostat and cause the wax pellet inside to expand and open the 'stat. Drilling a small hole in the stat allows coolant to flow directly past the 'stat so warm coolant will arrive eventually. The trick to this is in two parts. First is drilling a large enough hole so the back of the block and the heads don't overheat before the thermostat gets the signal that it's time to open. Second, on a street vehicle used in cold weather, the trick is to drill the hole small enough so the engine can actually warm up and provide heat.

A second method to ensure some warm coolant gets to the 'stat is to connect the heater to a port as close to the 'stat as possible. Ensure there's no heater shutoff valve on the heater circuit and the 'stat will usually get a strong enough signal to open in reasonable time. If heater flow is blocked, however, there's a good chance the engine will overheat because the 'stat will no longer be exposed to coolant that's at the same temp as what's in the head and block.

The third method is to plumb an external bypass into the manifold. But the problem here is twofold. If the external bypass circulates between manifold and pump it tends to reduce cooling ability in summer. If the external bypass circulates between manifold and radiator it tends to reduce engine heating in the winter. In either case the bypass should be sized to only allow the minimum amount of coolant necessary to make the thermostat open. 1/2" and 5/8" openings are not appropriate for this bypass.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I always drill a small 5/32 hole in all my t stats... yes it does serve as a bypass.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I always use the Fail Safe T-stats. They fail in the open position. And you know its time to change it cause your engine wont warm up on cool days.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I always drill a small 5/32 hole in all my t stats... yes it does serve as a bypass.

The thermostat I bought came pre-drilled with a small hole in it.

I found there is 2 versions of the HT383 paperwork. I printed off one online thru paceperformance before I got the engine to go over it. The other came inside the crate. They are different. The one online had the part about having to have a coolant bypass. The one with the engine doesn't mention that at all.

Since there is coolant flow instantly from the intake manifold thru the heater core and out to the radiator I'm thinking that is good enough for the bypass. I plan on plugging off my other bypass today and see what happens.

Radiator was dropped off first thing this morning. The guy said hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow it will be done.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yes that should be enough. I route mine from the intake to the hc, from the hc, to the radiator.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
The thermostat I bought came pre-drilled with a small hole in it.

I found there is 2 versions of the HT383 paperwork. I printed off one online thru paceperformance before I got the engine to go over it. The other came inside the crate. They are different. The one online had the part about having to have a coolant bypass. The one with the engine doesn't mention that at all.

Since there is coolant flow instantly from the intake manifold thru the heater core and out to the radiator I'm thinking that is good enough for the bypass. I plan on plugging off my other bypass today and see what happens.

Radiator was dropped off first thing this morning. The guy said hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow it will be done.

I learned of the bypass long after I put vortecs on my 81, and then reflected back on my cooling system clean out that I did immediatley after the swap, and I recalled seeing the coolant flowing into radiator from the heater core so I figured I got lucky and had a built-in bypass. I have never had any issues with overheating even sitting idling in triple digit weather in an In-N-Out Burger drive thru for 20 minutes. I wanted to see how the cooling system performed and it did well. The gauge rises a little going up steep grades but drops back down as soon as the ground levels off or the grade starts going downhill. I think the rise in temperaure may be caused by the transmission fluid getting hotter. I need to get an auxillary trans fluid cooler.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I did add the 180* thermostat while I had my engine out, so I will see how the cooling system does now running 20* hotter. Should get better fuel combustion and emissions.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Thanks guys- that is good to know. It is really quite amazing how hard it is to find straight answers to something "simple" like this.

I'll hook it up just like my old 400 was and keep an eye on it.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Seems to be working fine. I drove it around a bit on this Labor Day weekend and it gets up to 190* or so, then the thermostat opens, drops to 170 for about 30 seconds and then settles in around 180.

Not real happy with my backwards manual choke setup so I ordered a JET streetmaster stage 2 quadrajet carb. Should be here Wednesday night. This one has an electric choke, so hopefully it runs as good as my rebuilt one.

And probably when I was messing around with the manual choke I must have moved my distributor. Checked the timing the other day and it was at 2* instead of 10*. Runs better when adjusted correctly. One thing I'm hating about setting the timing... the harmonic balancer only has numbers and marks on the front edge of the balancer. The "pointer" on the engine block (sorry, don't know the correct term) is black, not easily seen, and only points at the rear edge of the balancer. So when shining the timing light I can't see anything at all. So far I just extended the 10* line back with a sharpie. Not very permanent.
I've heard they have aftermarket ones... do they extend out farther so I can see the marks? Do they just bolt on to the block? Dumb question, but never had to mess with one.

The one it has now is part of the plastic timing chain cover.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
White chalk or crayon works wonders to see timing marks

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I did finally get the coolant gauge and an outdoor temp gauge mounted. The dash had a little cubby hole that I never used. Mounted them in there.

picture.php

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67