How's the best way to tow this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Or just get a car hauler, or would that be too heavy for the tow vehicle?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I've always used bungy cords to keep the wheel straight. One heavy cord on one side, and one heavy cord on the other. Never had a car wander, but I wasn't hauling it backwards either.

I think the funnest/craziest tow I've ever done was being the driver of the vehicle being towed. We used a tow strap and were doing highway speeds for 17 miles.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I've always used bungy cords to keep the wheel straight. One heavy cord on one side, and one heavy cord on the other. Never had a car wander, but I wasn't hauling it backwards either.

I think the funnest/craziest tow I've ever done was being the driver of the vehicle being towed. We used a tow strap and were doing highway speeds for 17 miles.

Wow! My Pa and I towed a 69 C10 home on a chain with a tire looped in for shock reduction. It didnt have brakes so we ran with the tires flat. On one turn I had to stomp on it and do a crack the whip to keep him on the road and from hitting a pole. The door flew open and Dad was hanging onto the wheel for dear life but laughing like a lunatic. Not the smartest tow we did but we will never forget it either!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Wow! My Pa and I towed a 69 C10 home on a chain with a tire looped in for shock reduction. It didnt have brakes so we ran with the tires flat. On one turn I had to stomp on it and do a crack the whip to keep him on the road and from hitting a pole. The door flew open and Dad was hanging onto the wheel for dear life but laughing like a lunatic. Not the smartest tow we did but we will never forget it either!

lol. It's too bad the younger bubble wrapped generation will never know the simple joys of doing something ridiculously stupid and living to tell about it.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
We haven't heard back from the op on how this adventure went yet, hope everything turned out ok.

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sorry for taking forever to reply, I'm alive and well. I ended up loading it backwards and used 2 ratchets for the steering. One on each side of the wheel connecting to the window pillar, then left the front windows down.
Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of that. It was dark and snowing when I got home and I just wanted to get it off and sleep haha the setup worked great though! Didn't go above 55 on flat roads and 40 on hills, mainly because my aerostar wasn't capable of going faster while pulling that much weight.

Also stopped and checked everything 5 or so times on the way home and the wheels never moved. All in all it was a success, now I just have to get it running by summer.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
just a heads up, never trust just locking the wheel to tow a vehicle backwards. the little pot metal lock pins will break and it will stray off course. we usually use seat belt also or a good tarp strap out drivers door as a secondary securement. on big trucks I use a 1" ratchet strap, tarp strap, seatbelt and locking steering. ever seen how much a quarter of a turn in steering wheel will drift a school bus over road in to rearwards? once was enough of that lol.

personally as light as a corvair is, I'd gambled a lightweight U haul trailer behind a arostar would been best bet. or borrow a friends truck

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Here's the only picture I took, maybe sometime I'll put the straps back on the steering wheel just to show you guys exactly where I put them.

You must be registered for see images attach

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
just a heads up, never trust just locking the wheel to tow a vehicle backwards. the little pot metal lock pins will break and it will stray off course. we usually use seat belt also or a good tarp strap out drivers door as a secondary securement. on big trucks I use a 1" ratchet strap, tarp strap, seatbelt and locking steering. ever seen how much a quarter of a turn in steering wheel will drift a school bus over road in to rearwards? once was enough of that lol.

personally as light as a corvair is, I'd gambled a lightweight U haul trailer behind a arostar would been best bet. or borrow a friends truck
Thanks for the heads up. Trust me this was a one time thing and I'm glad everything went well. I mean until I was home and trying to unload it, but that's a different story haha.

Plus this trip motivated me more to get the suburban running and get a full size car bed lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag