How to tell if the front brake calipers are original?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joe green

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Hello, So my front left brake caliper froze up and i am having trouble retracting the piston. I converted my rear drum brakes to disk. I bought 2 front calipers from autozone for the rear brake conversion. Those calipers have a lifetime warranty. If my front calipers are not original i would just warranty them at autozone but if they are original i would hate to get rid of them. I was wondering if there was a way to tell if the calipers are original or not so i can decide whether to possible rebuild them or get new ones. Thanks

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Who cares if they are original? Its not like the truck is an all-original survivor (since you already swapped out the rear brakes). I'd just go get a new caliper and call it good. If it were something else I might not say this, but a caliper is like saying you don't want to change the oil because its original. A caliper is a caliper. Its a wear item!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
He's trying to determine if they are aftermarket calipers with a warranty.

OEM calipers will probably have a casting number on them, or even "GM" cast into them. But that doesn't mean they aren't rebuilt.

joe green

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I know they are just calipers. Just wondering if there was a definitive way to tell if they were originals or not. I know most rebuilt calipers are reconditioned old cores people bring in. I was wondering if the reconditioner ground off a emblem or made a mark or something visible. Thanks guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe