How to fix loose gm steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Darstrom,

Man, the lock plate behind that gray colored rear bearing support has come out of the column tube!!

The lock plate is what holds, that part you are holding, into the column tube itself. You are going to have to move all that you are holding in that photo out of the way and you will see a thick piece of steel with those four holes in it that you'll have to get to by removing the bearing support the short shaft comes out of. Then I'll bet when you look behind the rear bearing support, the small gray aluminum piece that thick steel plate the four torx screws are screwed into is still attached to the back of the gray aluminum support.

You will have to determine how the thick steel plate came out of the end of the column tube and get it back in so that the lower outter housing will be straight and so the rear and front, black support that has the keyed part in it will be attached strongly together with the rear support part.

I hope that's all understandable. I'm rebuilding my column for my '74 C10 because the end of the column tube I found was broken with two pieces broke away and had to weld them back to the tube. The plate was out of it completely, and the end of the column tube is shaped in a way, and has slots for the ears of the lock plate to fit into, which in turns holds that rear bearing support to the end of the column tube with those four torx screws. If that lock plate comes out, like yours has the whole thing will be loose, like yours.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
89Suburban,

I'm at the point where I need to know what the shift detent plate for a truck looks like. I have a shift plate for my column but it's from a Oldsmobile car.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
Darstrom,

Man, the lock plate behind that gray colored rear bearing support has come out of the column tube!!

The lock plate is what holds, that part you are holding, into the column tube itself. You are going to have to move all that you are holding in that photo out of the way and you will see a thick piece of steel with those four holes in it that you'll have to get to by removing the bearing support the short shaft comes out of. Then I'll bet when you look behind the rear bearing support, the small gray aluminum piece that thick steel plate the four torx screws are screwed into is still attached to the back of the gray aluminum support.

You will have to determine how the thick steel plate came out of the end of the column tube and get it back in so that the lower outter housing will be straight and so the rear and front, black support that has the keyed part in it will be attached strongly together with the rear support part.

I hope that's all understandable. I'm rebuilding my column for my '74 C10 because the end of the column tube I found was broken with two pieces broke away and had to weld them back to the tube. The plate was out of it completely, and the end of the column tube is shaped in a way, and has slots for the ears of the lock plate to fit into, which in turns holds that rear bearing support to the end of the column tube with those four torx screws. If that lock plate comes out, like yours has the whole thing will be loose, like yours.
I'm having this very same problem with my tilt column in my 87 V20. I'ed have it out and apart if I had a second vehicle to drive. Still my daily driver going on 34 years come April 1st. I've been on the lookout for another good used tilt column if I can find one at the right price.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
89Suburban,

I'm at the point where I need to know what the shift detent plate for a truck looks like. I have a shift plate for my column but it's from a Oldsmobile car.

I've never had one torn down to that point, didn't know it even existed.

@RetroC10Sport @HotRodPC @bucket

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
89Suburban, HotRodPC, Auroragirl, Gitdog, anyone!,

Does anyone have a Chevy tilt column, shift on the column shift plate you can show me on this site so I can modify mine to match??

Please answer soon so I can get my truck going.

This is mine.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350

Does anyone have a Chevy tilt column, shift on the column shift plate you can show me on this site so I can modify mine to match??

This is mine.

If no one has an actual pick this might help..

first pic is a different style. but shows the cut pattern

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

This is mine.

That one won't work? Looks like it would be fine for a three speed, there's just no detent for 1-2, but nobody is bang shifting a column shift anyway.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't really know but all the way over to the right is Park, then coming to the left it steps up to Reverse, then the next notch to the left down would be Neutral, then the notch down to the bottom might be Drive, then going left step up to D2, then step up to the last notch on the left D1.

But here's the question, how wide are the notches, and how long are they?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
bucket,

I "bang shift" with my column! If it wasn't for the fact that mine is out of a car it would "bang" a hell a lot better!

Is that red mark on the photo of mine mean something?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
C10MixMaster,

I've seen this shift pattern printed somewhere recently but I can't remember where. On this forum? Somebody was looking for a four speed shifter on the column with an automatic trans. Was that you HotRodPC?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
bucket,

I "bang shift" with my column! If it wasn't for the fact that mine is out of a car it would "bang" a hell a lot better!

Is that red mark on the photo of mine mean something?

The red mark is where to remove metal for the extra step for the 4 speed

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
C10MixMaster,

Oh, okay.

But this photo is of the shift gate from my column that has the Olds. shift gate in it though. What I need to see is the shift gate for a truck, and a three speed trans.

Seen one? If so take a pic of it and post it here.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The gates shouldn't be truck or car specific. A three speed gate is a three speed gate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara