how to find and fix front end problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

no slack

Reaction score
First Name
Antonio
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
5.7 350 TBI
Hi I'm using a smart phone making it hard to write in English. After having my truck sit up while I was on deployment , I started back driving it and notice a lot of shaking in the cab and steering wheel feels like its some thing going on with the front pass side tire its balling from the inside I went to a few places goodyear and pepboys and one other side shop to get different answers to the problem control arm idler arm tie rod end in inner tie rod sleeve etc.
I came up with just rebulid the right front side. So is this a good I'd or should I try something else first also what's all the parts to include in a rebuild of the right front on the 87 chevy c10

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
Not sure what you mean with "balling from the inside"?

If it feels like its coming from one side though, I would swap tires on the front and see if the vibration changes sides. You might have lost a balancing weight. While swapping tires check the bearings. Make sure its solid on jack stands to the frame (weight off the suspension) and push and pull on wheels and tierods, anything that you can feel or see moving should be replaced. Be careful, don't be underneath when pushing and pulling. It helps to have a helper turn the wheel back and forth while you watch the steering stuff move.

You could also take it in to get an alignment, they will check all the steering components and let you know for sure what is worn out. It's cheaper to know for sure and only replace what's worn then it is to just replace everything, all though some people will do that for peace of mind.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
After having my truck sit up while I was on deployment , I started back driving it and notice a lot of shaking in the cab and steering wheel feels like its some thing going on with the front pass side tire

So basically;

1. Prior to your tour the truck was rolling smoothly - with no discernable vibration.

2. You parked it and left - no one drove it while you were gone

3. When you came back, and resumed driving it, suddenly there was a front-end vibration.

Also we assume this:

some thing going on with the front pass side tire its balling from the inside

means that: the right front tire is showing excessive wear (balding?) on the inner treads?

While your front-end components may need attention (and this will cause uneven wear patterns) they didn't wear out while the truck was sitting in an idle status.

Also, normal wear of tie rods ends & adjustment sleeves will not cause vibration to the extent that the cab shakes.

no slack

Reaction score
First Name
Antonio
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
5.7 350 TBI
rebuild

Don't just do one side. Get a front end rebuild kit and do it all at once.

http://www.performanceonline.com/73-87-chevy-gmc-c10-rubber-front-end-rebuild-kit-frk7387r/

They also have poly urethane kits for a few bucks more.

If $$ is not a issue then get all Moog parts and Energy Suspension bushings.

sounds like the way to go only thing im worried about is the upper ball joint on the control arm seems like most would just replace the hold control arm I want to just use the upper ball joint in the kit is it hard to get out and is there a trick I should use

Mater08

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SWB
Engine Size
sounds like the way to go only thing im worried about is the upper ball joint on the control arm seems like most would just replace the hold control arm I want to just use the upper ball joint in the kit is it hard to get out and is there a trick I should use

That kit comes with the control arm bushings for both lower and upper control arms. You can buy the kit and not use them if you wish. Save them until the time comes that yours need replaced. The upper balljoint, if its never been replaced before, is riveted into the control arm. With a chisel, simply pop the rivet heads off and drive the rivet out. The new one will then get bolted in. The lower balljoint is pressed into the control arm.

You can check out the front end to determine if you have any loose parts. Philjafo is incorrect in saying to have the truck supported by the frame while checking for loose parts. On long arm/short arm suspension like C10s have, the lower balljoint is the load bearing joint so you need to support the control arm as close to the balljoint as you can. From there everything he said is correct. Grab the tire at 6 and 12 o'clock and shake it and 9 and 3 o'clock. Its easier to see which parts may be moving if there is play while having someone else shake the tire and you observe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay