How do you burp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Installing a VintageAir system + a new water pump on my ‘78 Big 10. Once everything is installed and I refill the coolant, do I need to follow some sort of routine to remove pockets of air in the system? IE do I need to burp it? And if so, how?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Generally, no. I like to drill a very small hole (like 1/16" or so) into the thermostat to prevent air pockets, but it's not really needed.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On other cars, I start it - let it get up to operating temp and turn the heat on full hot. If the vents blow hot, its good. If not, I squeeze/pump the upper rad hose. You'll hear the air pocket break free - sometimes it sounds like a clogged drain opening up.....the vents blow HOT. Then its good.

Depending on the brand, the t-stat will have a small bleeder hole in it. If the motor had a housing that was anything but flat, I orientated the t-stat hole to be at the top so it could bleed.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That year truck, just fill the radiator about a couple of inches from the top and run it until the thermostat opens and all the air will come out out. Shut it off and fill to about an inch or so below the top and close it up. Make sure your catch can is up to the top mark so later after you drive it and shut off for the night, the pressure will drop and suck any fluid needed out of the can. Just check it the next morning to see if it needs any water, probably not much if any.
You do have a catch can don't you? Is it the overflow kind, or return system type? Don't use the overflow kind because any water needed will not return to the radiator. With the overflow kind any pressure that dumps water will just go in the catch can and sit.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
A few years ago, I started using one of the spillproof funnel kits. It has a cap that screws on like your radiator cap and has different size and angle attachments for different radiator cap angles. The funnel then connects to the adapter. You install it and over fill your radiator with coolant. Let it run until the thermostat cycles a couple times. The coolant level with rise and drop in the funnel while releasing the air pockets, without making a mess. When the level has stabilized and you are ready to remove it, it has a funnel plug with a long handle to cap off the funnel. It also has a lid that seals so you can return it to your coolant bottle without spilling. You don't lose a drop. I got this because I was concerned about my dogs ingesting any coolant that leaked on the ground and wanted to keep them safe. It works fantastic. I got the epauto brand because it was less than $20 for the entire kit and free shipping from Amazon. This brand also has color coded caps and adapters, so it is easy to figure out what goes together and works for your truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
loudly....and normally a good fart following. lol.....fill from highest point and close it up

EastAustinSawdust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Big Ten Bonanza
Engine Size
5.7L 350
Well this process went quite smoothly. I filled it, started the engine, got it to temp, blasted the heat for a minute, and shut it off. Let it cool, topped it off again, and that was that.

As for coolant overflow tank…I guess I don’t really know how mine is supposed to work. I have the factory tank on there. Looks like this: https://www.cjponyparts.com/radiator-overflow-tank-cap-chevrolet-c10-1974-1980/p/ROFT51/

Aside from the filler, It only has a single inlet for a hose and it’s at the top. I put in a hose in that goes down to the bottom like a straw inside the tank. I assume this allows the radiator to fill the tank when the coolant expands and draw from the tank when it contracts.

That sound right to ya?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Installing a VintageAir system + a new water pump on my ‘78 Big 10. Once everything is installed and I refill the coolant, do I need to follow some sort of routine to remove pockets of air in the system? IE do I need to burp it? And if so, how?

Ya, you do like the rest of us do, put it over your shoulder bounce it a little while you pat it on the back and it'll burb.....

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well this process went quite smoothly. I filled it, started the engine, got it to temp, blasted the heat for a minute, and shut it off. Let it cool, topped it off again, and that was that.

As for coolant overflow tank…I guess I don’t really know how mine is supposed to work. I have the factory tank on there. Looks like this: https://www.cjponyparts.com/radiator-overflow-tank-cap-chevrolet-c10-1974-1980/p/ROFT51/

Aside from the filler, It only has a single inlet for a hose and it’s at the top. I put in a hose in that goes down to the bottom like a straw inside the tank. I assume this allows the radiator to fill the tank when the coolant expands and draw from the tank when it contracts.

That sound right to ya?

Oh and yes you do have the recovery tank set up properly. Pressure in the radiator forces coolant into the tank vacuum pulls it back out. Another reason you need to keep a good cap on the radiator!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheify