How do I remove this lift kit? 78 K20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just got my truck 2 days ago and I would like to remove the lift kit. Eventually it'll be a frame-off restoration but just trying to do a few things at a time for now so that I can keep driving it. I know absolutely nothing about lift kits.
You must be registered for see images attach

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I'd see if you can turn any of the bolts to start with. get them all loose and some new shorter bolts and pull those spacers out and do it right.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Don't forget to give it a good look to make sure nothing is going to contact the body when the lift is removed too. Not uncommon for a body lift to be used to overcome clearance issues other than tires.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I would buy a complete body to frame bushing/bolt kit and remove all the body lift parts. Since you going to do a more complete rebuild later at least you know the cab and body are on solid fountaions. When the body lift comes out, you may need to address the shifter linkage (automatic), steering column angle/length, gas tank fill pipes and the radiator shroud.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
As well as those cab mounts....or lack there of.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I would buy a complete body to frame bushing/bolt kit and remove all the body lift parts. Since you going to do a more complete rebuild later at least you know the cab and body are on solid fountaions. When the body lift comes out, you may need to address the shifter linkage (automatic), steering column angle/length, gas tank fill pipes and the radiator shroud.

David, that is your blueprint. :grd:
Invest in a couple cans of PB Blaster and soak everything that has a thread or exposed bolt hole. Might as well spray your springs, parking brake cable covers, and hood hinges while you are at it.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
And be prepared to cut holes in your floor on the inside of the cab to retrieve the captured nuts when them bolts break. Not being a hater just a realist.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
And be prepared to cut holes in your floor on the inside of the cab to retrieve the captured nuts when them bolts break. Not being a hater just a realist.

On the same train of thought, a couple of small holes drilled in the floor above the mounting bolts will allow you to soak the captured nuts in PB Blaster too.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
On the same train of thought, a couple of small holes drilled in the floor above the mounting bolts will allow you to soak the captured nuts in PB Blaster too.
Ever the optimist aren't we?????lol

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
lol. well, a couple extra holes before he has to cut won't hurt. :D
Pretty much he will have a few till he finds that 1.5" sweet spot. Been there done that on mine.

davidfite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info guys. I've never done any kind of body work so this is all going to be a learning experience. My cab floor isn't in perfect shape so I don't mind the holes if that'll help the process. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have my shop cleaned out enough to get the truck in there so I can start on it. Hopefully it'll fit without having to take the lift off first LOL. I did a rough measurement and it was reallllllly close. I think I could probably let some air out of the tires and get it though.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thanks for the info guys. I've never done any kind of body work so this is all going to be a learning experience. My cab floor isn't in perfect shape so I don't mind the holes if that'll help the process. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have my shop cleaned out enough to get the truck in there so I can start on it. Hopefully it'll fit without having to take the lift off first LOL. I did a rough measurement and it was reallllllly close. I think I could probably let some air out of the tires and get it though.
Let some aair out of the tired then air up once it's out.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I would just buy a set of standard cab bushings, and standard bolts for the bed (it sits right on the frame; usually no bushings), and replace what is there. Its a straightforward job, except for trying to get frozen bolts loose.

You will also have to adjust column shifter linkage to compensate for the new height, and I assume they probably had to put spacers on the radiator mounts to compensate for the lift kit.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78