Horn wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So my trucks horn used to work, then a friend went to remove the little round cover and pooped it off, and now whenever i put the wire with the female connector on it to the little metal tab sticking up, the horn is constantly on.

How is the horn wire supposed to go underneath the cover on the steering wheel?

Thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Little round cover? Do you have any pictures of your steering wheel? Sounds like it might be from another car/truck or aftermarket.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
there should be a cup ring that has 3 insulated screws attaching it to the steering wheel and behind that cup ring there is another a slightly convexed ring that contacts the little horn spring loaded button contact. The convexed ring contacts the spring loaded contact at all times, then when you push on the horn the convexed ring will bend in and contact the center where the large nut is that holds the steering wheel on, and this is what completes the circuit allowing your horn to energize.

If that convexed ring is put back in upside down it will not function like intended. I cant remember if it does or doesn't contact when in backwards.

Any way the key to it is that convexed ring making contact with both the spring loaded horn contact and the center of the steering column.

The spring loaded horn contact will be at your 9-10 oclock when in the drivers seat underneath both the cup and convexed ring.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
^^^Which is why it sounds like a non-truck steering wheel. There was a mention of the lead that connects to a round horn cap. The stock wheel uses the round ring and a square horn cap.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Cant get a picture today, but i will some point soon.

Forgot to add ive noticed its certainly not a stock steering wheel. Its smaller, with the outside being a black full circle with 3 thick (like and inch or 2) spokes coming out from the center. The center is a cone shape smooshed down, if you look at it from the side it has that kind of profile, but from straight on its circle and rises towards you a little into a dull point.

Inside the cap, which you twist and itll pop off, put it on and twist and itll secure itself, there is a spring in the center and a black wire that currently hands no where, but on the end of the steering column (just off the center of the wheel) theres a little metal tab that pokes up, looks the same as a male connector. The black wire previously had a female connector on it, but i have now cut it off so my horn is not continuously on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris