Homemade Kick Panel Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I started a project that I think is going to turn out pretty well. My '84 had crappy blown speakers up in the dash. I wanted better sound, but didn't feel like spending money. I had front door speaker pods from a '98 Lumina and also some kick panels that already had speaker holes cut into them.

The Lumina speaker pods are useful for two reasons. They give the speakers a good angle, plus it spaces the speaker far enough away from the cab's interior sheet metal that no cutting was required. The metal did need to be knocked in a bit though, with just a light body hammer.

Here's what I have so far:

You must be registered for see images attach

I wanted to install them before doing anymore work, to see how I like them. It turns out, I love them. The sound is great, especially for stock speakers, and my boots don't seem to hit them.

Next is to finish them off and blend them into the kick panels. I plan to do the shaping with expanding foam. If that's not strong enough, I'll apply a coat of fiberglass body filler and sand that smooth. Finally, I will spray the entire panel with spray-on bedliner from a spray can. The texture will be a close match to the texture of the stock plastic kick panel.

I've also got my eye out for a pair of speaker grilles, or a decent pair of aftermarket speakers that include grilles.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
could I get some closer pictures?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, I meant to get some when it's light out, but I keep forgetting. I'll try tomorrow.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

MEAN_SBC

Reaction score
First Name
Brant
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Trust me.. Next time, just buy qform kick panels for your truck.. They're $140, easy to install, look awesome, and will house 6.5" components. I have them in my truck and they sound amazing with kicker ds65.2 components.

buRRp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Cool project. Do you have a update if you have finished them?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Trust me.. Next time, just buy qform kick panels for your truck.. They're $140, easy to install, look awesome, and will house 6.5" components. I have them in my truck and they sound amazing with kicker ds65.2 components.

$140 is why I didn't buy them. This setup is almost free and sounds MUCH better than stock, which is plenty good enough for me. I *might* spend money on some decent speakers. These will also have a factory appearance when done.

Cool project. Do you have a update if you have finished them?

No updates yet, haven't had the time to finish them. Although, grilles are definitely needed... I nearly killed the right side speaker when I tossed the ice scraper in the truck one morning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69