Home Made Security System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
73 Chevy C10, 327ci, long bed/fleetside

I want to add an aftermarket alarm system, but in addition to that I want to add some 'home made' security to the truck, so that potential thieves don't know where to look for the solution to the truck not starting...

Two obvious systems are electrical and fuel..

I'd like to put roadblocks in both...

I am thinking of adding a momentary switch somewhere that prevents starting the truck unless it is pushed... I am thinking that interrupting either the wire going to the starting solenoid preventing the thing from cranking at all, or the wire going to the distributor, allowing cranking but not starting.. If I chose the latter then it could not be a momentary switch, but rather a push on - push off switch.. If I used such a switch I could also use it to interrupt the neutral safety switch connection, as opposed to to the one to the distributor...

In addition to that, I would like to add either a 12v controlled fuel switch, or a manual switch (like the fuel selector on an ATV) somewhere in line with the fuel line... I'm thinking an electric one would be easier, as I wouldn't have to route the fuel lines into the cab for a manual one...

So, I'm curious as to what others have done along these lines, suggestions, tips, ideas I haven't thought of, and especially suggestions on where to locate/hide the switch(es)?

Also, would like some suggestions on affordable alarm systems, and how to set them up so that the 'motion' switch can be turned on or off depending on whether I have the dogs with me or not (concerned if I leave them in the truck and set the alarm, they will set it off when they move around....

If there is something affordable that will 'notify' me on my cell phone (or?) of an alarm condition that would be awesome...

Thanks,
Mark

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD