Hole in my floor for fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Here's what I did. The square of angle iron makes the floor panel rock solid and it's flush with the existing bed. Hardest part is locating the hole. I wish I would have made the front cut an inch or so further towards the front - makes it a little challenging to get to the fuel line connections, but wasn't too bad. I tape up the seam with metal foil tape and then put the carpet back, would never know.
You must be registered for see images attach

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I used a plasma cutter but will admit the tank was already out so no thanks of boom boom.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
how often do you guys plan on needing access?

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Yeah, if you have ever had to drain and drop a full gas tank, once is all it takes to cure your desire of doing it twice. Also I have been told that there are a bunch of chinese knockoff Walbro e381 pumps (which is the preferred electric in tank pump for vortec/ls swappers so since I bought this one ebay for cheap I'm pretty sure I'll be using the second cheap one I got for the same price in the future at some point so I just figured I am future proofing it until they figure out a way to identify a geniune one (which they probably won't and then it'll just be an annual event, lol).

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Yeah, if you have ever had to drain and drop a full gas tank, once is all it takes to cure your desire of doing it twice. Also I have been told that there are a bunch of chinese knockoff Walbro e381 pumps (which is the preferred electric in tank pump for vortec/ls swappers so since I bought this one ebay for cheap I'm pretty sure I'll be using the second cheap one I got for the same price in the future at some point so I just figured I am future proofing it until they figure out a way to identify a geniune one (which they probably won't and then it'll just be an annual event, lol).

I bought some of the China GM e381 for my truck unknowingly, have read there is a genuine GM gold label or something on the box for the real pumps.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I figure they all stand to be a chance of being a knock-off now but then again that's with anything now days.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
how often do you guys plan on needing access?

I did the pump on my Burb the right way. 40 gallon tank, trailer hitch, and dual exhaust made it a bitch even on the shop lift. Then about a year or so later, that pump started taking a dump too. The weather was cold, I was busy with other things, and the deadline to drive the truck on family vacation was fast approaching. Besides all that, I really didn't want to drop that damn tank again. So now there's a handy access panel.

Another Burb I had, it got an access panel too, but for other reasons. The sender lines rotted out and I had to fix them. That thing was so so rusty, there were no other options besides rebuilding the entire rear half of the Burb.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e

I used a Walbro 190 and I bought it direct from them, per some advice I got on this site. They're well aware of the Chinese knock-off issue and will oftentimes price match with Amazon or similar.

I usually much prefer to do things the "right" way, but with a carpeted burb I didn't really see much of a downside. Maybe the access panel, done correctly, is the "right" way. I'm not sure if I'd do it with a pickup though.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I used a Walbro 190 and I bought it direct from them, per some advice I got on this site. They're well aware of the Chinese knock-off issue and will oftentimes price match with Amazon or similar.

I usually much prefer to do things the "right" way, but with a carpeted burb I didn't really see much of a downside. Maybe the access panel, done correctly, is the "right" way. I'm not sure if I'd do it with a pickup though.
I would and I’m gonna.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I figure there is an evolution of ways to do things that migrates between right and smart. Sometimes easy is the offshoot of those two, sometimes not. I figure the general didn't think to do it at the time because before in tank fuel pumps things didn't really screw up a lot down there so necessity is the mother of invention right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06