High idle after every start warm or cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scubacarib

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
So I am helping my friend with a 91 Cheyenne 2500 it has a 350 Chevy he has thrown a lot of parts at it both temperature sensors throttle positioning sensor and idle speed control to me it acts like a cold start high idle after it starts cold then after a few minutes it drops to a normal good idle drive it around the block turn off the key start it right back up high idle for the couple of minutes then it drops to a perfectly good idle it'll do this all day long any ideas would be appreciated thanks

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
it will always idle a little higher on first start up, even when hot, just for a bit until it hits closed loop. it should take much longer to idle down when cold.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
MAP sensor and CTS have a lot of say in target RPM (or IAC position), especially in open loop. if those sensors are good, you might look for a vacuum leak that may go away when the engine gets warm? if you have a vacuum leak, the IAC can't close enough to bring down the idle.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is there a way to get data? If IAC counts are low it's a good indicator of a vacuum leak.
Check base gasket, temporarily plug vacuum lines. Have seen wrong or bad PCV valves cause that. Intake gaskets, check both top and bottom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1