High fuel pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tractorman

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Crewcab
Engine Size
7.4l
Hi, hoping someone can help have 1985 chev c30 with 7.4l. Runs fine all day at idle or stationary at high rpm.
As soon as I take it out on the road it will start to starve for fuel and almost die unless I feather the accelerator.
When going to remove the fuel line I noticed there was high pressure and although I didn't time I would guess it was under pressure for at least 30 seconds. Can someone explain this as I have never seen this before. This was also after the vehicle had been sitting for at least 15 minutes. Any ideas on the fuel starvation problem. Does on flat surface as well as hills.
Also have replaced distributor as I have seen issues with the wiring to pickup coil.
Thanks for any ideas.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Assume pressure was at carb or that line?
If so it isn't unusual for some pressure to be there. Sounds like a fuel volume issue. Check fuel pump pressure and volume. Likely a bad pump or fuel filter.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Put a pressure gauge between the pump and carb to KNOW that’s the problem. Parts places have fuel pressure test kits in their loaner tool stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1