Hesitation going up hill.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Back in the day I had a 1961 Chrysler big block with a spring mounted on the exhaust manifold that ran the choke. When it was cold out, if you parked for 15 minutes, you were OK: the choke and the engine were both still warm. If you parked for more than an hour, you were OK: the choke and the engines were both cold. But if you parked for a time period between 15 minutes and an hour, the choke would be full on and the engine would still be warm. No way not to flood it.

So I put a bulldog clothes pin on the starter cable. I checked my watch when I parked the car, and checked the time when I wanted to restart it. If it was between fifteen minutes and an hour, I would remove the air cleaner cover, pin the choke plate open and start the car, sit inside for a while until both the choke and I warmed up, then remove the clothes pin, and replace the air cleaner cover. I can still remember fumbling with that damn wingnut at 10 below.

No, thanks. The Edelbrock electric choke works perfect, at least compared to that!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I may even be thinking of something else than you are. I do know there are several different types of choke. I was just saying, he don't need to take the intake off to block off the crossover if he didn't want to go through all that just for a choke conversion.
Some of the older ones even used a choke stove that bolted to the intake and that one pretty much just detected the radiant heat off the top of the intake. IMO, one of the most effective choke systems. They just didn't work real well once the choke butterfly shaft starting getting gummed up and taking more effort to close to the butterfly or have it hang closed when the thermostatic spring was trying to pull the butterfly off, or the butterfly would pull off and the hi idle cam to the idle adjustment screw would hang up and not let the idle come back down. I think the most complicated thing on a Carb is the choke/hi idle mechanisms. Always seem to have issues getting them to work right. I've just not have real good luck with auto choke set ups. Manual choke set ups have never let me down though. :rofl:

Yep I like the divorced choke too. That's what im running right now. And everything you say about the chokes is true. Actually ive had good success with all types so im not really biased except the Rochester with the electric choke has other desirable features other then just the choke.

But ya no I wasn't suggesting blocking off the crossover at the intake to head gasket. I would save that for when you put an aluminum intake on. I could see how my wording might make you think I was though LOL. Actually im confusing to most people about pretty much everything. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68