HELPPPP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
I have a few questions about my wiring on my 1984 k30. On my alternator wire do I go from after the starter. Like where do the fused links go between. And also do I need an excite wire??idfk know what that even is just saw something about it.something like a one way wire or some bs also what the frick is this blue and green guy. And which one of these wires is my oil pressure sensor I included some pics. Thanks in advance bros

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 167

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
open the 84 wiring diagram and start tracing wires...

So next time... label, label, label

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Updated this below post here 5:20 PM CST....

@NastyRay I have been doing a bunch of wiring myself, mostly done now! I had a horrible rats nest of a mess to deal with as I purchased my truck with no engine, and who knows how many people had their fingers in the wiring. Sorry, off topic here. Mine is a 76 GMC, not sure how different the wiring is than yours (other than I put an Olds 455 in mine).

As for your starter. I "think" the Chevy's have 3 wires. 1.) Main battery (+) wire. 2.) Solenoid wire (from ignition switch). 3.) 12V (+) wire that goes to the 2-stud terminal block seen below.

Does your truck have a plastic block mounted to the firewall with 2 studs on it? One stud powers the items (blower motor/other gizmos) on passengers side of truck, the stud on drivers side has 12V going to it.

Here is the block I am talking about with the two studs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here below is the funky fused gizmo wire going to that 2-stud block (this fused wire goes to the one stud on driver side on above block). This is one of the two red wires coming from the alternator. The alternator has a plastic rectangle terminal with a red wire, and a brown wire. The other red wire on the stud on alternator is spliced together to the other red fused wire. Fused wire to stud on block, other red wire to wire harness connection at firewall. Brown wire also goes to harness connection on firewall.

On your Chevy starter, you will have the main red large battery cable going to the starter, and another wire (maybe 10ga or 12??) that will go up to this 2-stud block to provide that 12V power to everything.

I can get some other pictures, and verify my above comments about the alternator wiring. Like I said, mine is 76 so I am not sure what (if anything) changed in those years up to yours.

Last edited:

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Here is what my oil pressure wire looks like (although my truck has a mechanical gauge.....I had earlier clipped this wire from my parts truck anyhow).

Here is the temperature sending unit wire.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The dual green wire connector you are holding goes to the AC compressor.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@OldBlueDually,

The first pic is called the "fusible link" on the firewall. There should be two wires on the "battery side, right screw), the #10 power wire that goes to the post on the starter along with the positive battery cable. There should be another (see the rest of this post at the bottom).
Double pic. disregard.
(In the pic above)Look at the corrigate that's going around the dip stick, that is the three wires coming from the Alt.. You see the #10 red wire goes to the fusible link. I have a ring terminal on it but you'll see it is connected to that battery side of the link. The other two wires from the Alt. go into the cab harness. The brown wire from the Alt. goes to the red light on the dash that comes on for a few seconds as soon as you start your truck. That's the field energize signal wire. The other wire of those three goes to the ignition switch.
In this pic above, shows that I cut all my starter wiring in half in order to remove all that length of wire that went all the way around the engine block just to go to the starter. I cut out 5 ft. of excess wire. I built this block and put it all on the firewall so I could 1) route all the starter wiring straight down to the stater, and 2) I wanted a way to make it easier to start my truck with a remote starter switch for tuning purposes. So all the wiring you see on the block below the fusible link, goes to the starter. Look at the wiring at that "S", that's a purple wire, one end goes to the starter, and the other end goes to the ignition switch.
Ignore this pic. It's what I found after unwrapping some tape on the Alt. wire that went to the fusible link, from the factory and this is what I found--from the factory! Unly isn't it. Needless to say I cut this out.
(from the top of the post)#10 wire on the right post of the fusible link, I call the battery side, which it is, that is the 12v power wire coming from the alternator.

That second pic of yours is one of the fusible links that should be down on the starter to, part of the ignition wires down there. It should be with a couple of other wires on the small post on the solenoid, a #12 purple wire should be down there with it, or on it.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@NastyRay,

Yeah, do exactly what @dvdswan, says do. Go to the schematic on your year truck and start tracing wires. Hopefully like you say, not to many people have fooled with the wiring to much. You should be able to find all those wires. And like that photo @OldBlueDually is showing, you should have a rubber boot, unless it was changed by the year of your truck, but some kind of a obvious connection for the oil pressure sender.

Get after it!

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
open the 84 wiring diagram and start tracing wires...

So next time... label, label, label
Ya I definitely learned my lesson. this whole project was like a giant puzzle….but for a man lol

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
@OldBlueDually,

The first pic is called the "fusible link" on the firewall. There should be two wires on the "battery side, right screw), the #10 power wire that goes to the post on the starter along with the positive battery cable. There should be another (see the rest of this post at the bottom).
Double pic. disregard.
(In the pic above)Look at the corrigate that's going around the dip stick, that is the three wires coming from the Alt.. You see the #10 red wire goes to the fusible link. I have a ring terminal on it but you'll see it is connected to that battery side of the link. The other two wires from the Alt. go into the cab harness. The brown wire from the Alt. goes to the red light on the dash that comes on for a few seconds as soon as you start your truck. That's the field energize signal wire. The other wire of those three goes to the ignition switch.
In this pic above, shows that I cut all my starter wiring in half in order to remove all that length of wire that went all the way around the engine block just to go to the starter. I cut out 5 ft. of excess wire. I built this block and put it all on the firewall so I could 1) route all the starter wiring straight down to the stater, and 2) I wanted a way to make it easier to start my truck with a remote starter switch for tuning purposes. So all the wiring you see on the block below the fusible link, goes to the starter. Look at the wiring at that "S", that's a purple wire, one end goes to the starter, and the other end goes to the ignition switch.
Ignore this pic. It's what I found after unwrapping some tape on the Alt. wire that went to the fusible link, from the factory and this is what I found--from the factory! Unly isn't it. Needless to say I cut this out.
(from the top of the post)#10 wire on the right post of the fusible link, I call the battery side, which it is, that is the 12v power wire coming from the alternator.

That second pic of yours is one of the fusible links that should be down on the starter to, part of the ignition wires down there. It should be with a couple of other wires on the small post on the solenoid, a #12 purple wire should be down there with it, or on it.
Thank you for taking your time to share your knowledge with me it is greatly appreciated. I think with the mix of the schematic and those few details I was unsure of that you pointed out I shouldn’t…I say shouldn’t loosely . Shouldn’t have any issues. But idk how many hands have been under there since 84. I’ll repost this afternoon and let y’all know how it goes. Again big thanks

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
@OldBlueDually,

Double pic. disregard.

Thank you I really appreciate the help. Seriously

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
The dual green wire connector you are holding goes to the AC compressor.
I never took one out ? Weird guess it just has the wiring for one in case because it could have been an option?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
OP looks like he has a crate engine or an Engine that is extremely Dolled up, possibly a swap of some kind. Can you confirm what alternator is mounted on your trucks engine? Nothing wrong with your engine, I think its awesome, I just wonder if you maybe arent using a 10si or 12si alternator and instead have a CS130 on. Your truck would be OE wired for a 10 or 12si

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I never took one out ? Weird guess it just has the wiring for one in case because it could have been an option?
Your truck originally came with this engine? is your heater control say AC on it or does it have manual AC looks/form to it?

if either the one on the left is in there, or there are other things in the truck to suggest it had AC(hows your dash for vents? one on the left of the driver?) then your truck originally had an AC system and your engine would have had an R4(Probably?) pancake unless the A6 or whatever was used then. Your engine probably had them on the driver side, my guess, but it all depends on the trucks original setup. Do you have your SPID label?

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
OP looks like he has a crate engine or an Engine that is extremely Dolled up, possibly a swap of some kind. Can you confirm what alternator is mounted on your trucks engine? Nothing wrong with your engine, I think its awesome, I just wonder if you maybe arent using a 10si or 12si alternator and instead have a CS130 on. Your truck would be OE wired for a 10 or 12si
It’s a crate 454 it was cheaper for me to buy a crate then send mine to the machine shop.
It is an extremely dolled up crate motor. My goal was to have the outside look rustic and under the hood and interior look pretty. Cause all in all it’s still a big ol man toy and as far as the alternator can you school me a little more I’m not quite picking up what your putting down. Pardon my ignorance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 61

NastyRay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nasty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
454ci
Your truck originally came with this engine? is your heater control say AC on it or does it have manual AC looks/form to it?

if either the one on the left is in there, or there are other things in the truck to suggest it had AC(hows your dash for vents? one on the left of the driver?) then your truck originally had an AC system and your engine would have had an R4(Probably?) pancake unless the A6 or whatever was used then. Your engine probably had them on the driver side, my guess, but it all depends on the trucks original setup. Do you have your SPID label?
No mine looks like this . Sorry for the bad angle it is on a lift and I can’t really reach .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 72

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL