help with new problem. Fuel!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I have not driven my 87 TBI in month's due to working out of town. I used it the other day and while on the freeway it was acting like it was running out of gas (engine cutting off) while doing 70 MPH.. Slowed down to about 55/60 all was normal for about a couple miles, at that point it just cut off. I pulled air cleaner base off to see if it was getting gas.. No 2 sec pulse. No gas.. I put a little gas in the throttle bores and no start..

Okay.. Im thinking its a gas issue. replace fuel filter.. no gas still..

SOOO, I removed the gas line from the throttle body run a jumper from batt to relay and gas is shooting out line. Even without doing jumper to relay if I trn the key, i can hear fuel pump in tank for a sec. I know pump is good and filter of course..

Could it be my injectors?? I unplugged them and replug them.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It could be. If I were you, the first thing I would do is go to Autozone and borrow a noid light set to test the injector pulse. It plugs in where the injectors go and it flashes when it gets power. If it doesn't work, then you've got a wiring issue most likely. Less likely (in my opinion) an ECM issue. If that didn't get you anywhere, I'd take the whole unit off and rebuild it. A rebuild kit costs thirty dollars. That way if it's your fuel pressure regulator or something small, you fix it before you move onto the injectors. Rebuilding a TBI is easy. If a rebuild didn't fix it, I'd send the injectors to WitchHunter Performance in Duvall, WA. They flow test them for ten dollars a pop or clean and flow test for twenty-two dollars a pop, which is approximately a fourth what you'd pay for new parts store injectors. Hopefully, your first two options would yield results before shipping them away. If I knew my pump and relay and filter were good, and I was getting fuel to TBI, this is what I'd do.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
just got it running again. It was a bad Dist coil. thanks everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35