Help! What ratio are my k10 axles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Long Bed
Engine Size
Pop the cover. Don't be lazy. Or, be lazy and let everyone speculate. A tube of silicone is like $7. If you're cheap, reuse the oil. Don't be lazy.
I already have the rtv, so 7$ less. And last time I had the covers out I welded drain bungs, how easier can it be.:boxed:

Yeah its basically new gear oil with less than 50 miles on it for both front and back diffs; because I've been working on the engine and trans, which are done now and that's why I'm paying attention to the diff.

I hope we convinced the OP to count the teeth.

Ok I've wasted everyone's time by being lazy... I thought I would get a definite answer but in reality the only way to make sure and not buy the incorrect ring pinion set would be to POP THE COVER!:biggun:

Have some other stuff in the pipeline that goes before this, like install a horn and get the wipers working again. Therefore this will have to wait a few more weeks.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
In case you didn't know here's how to read the ring once the cover is off. This is for a '70 Chevelle.

Part #: GM 3862526
Gear ratio: 10 41 = 4.10 (FYI 11 41 would be a 3.73)
Date of Manf: 3 70 = 03/1970

You must be registered for see images

AlexK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Long Bed
Engine Size
Will get to this later than sooner since I have house projects to tackle for the next months.

However, I know how to go about this now, POP THE COVER! When I get back to this Ill post again and give updates.

Been thinking that if my gears are good... All I may need are seals, bearings and a crush sleeve eliminator to get the clearance correct to get rid of the clunk when I shift to reverse or drive.

I only drive this truck a few miles on the weekend, less than 20 miles per week, so slight wear on the gears may be acceptable for a beat up rusty truck. Its not a daily driver, not a show truck, just a truck I use to carry stuff and eventually will use to launch a 16-17' lumberyard skiff.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Default gear could be that 2.76 with a 3 speed. I hope we convinced the OP to count the teeth. He needs to match the front axle. Probably not a 2.76 with a 700R4, final drive would be under 2.
Or unless someone swapped the axles over the years. Maybe the rear is an original 2.76bor whatever and they left the front an original 3.08?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
For the front axle...
I did the same procedure with the manual hub locks engaged in the "lock"position.
The axle didn't complete 3 turns with 2 turns of the wheel.
Whats going on with the front?

You gotta jack up the opposite side dude...the axle is turned around.
:waytogo:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

AlexK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Long Bed
Engine Size
You gotta jack up the opposite side dude...the axle is turned around.
So for the rear I did leave one tire on the ground being an open diff but for the front I need to raise both sides?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
You just gotta jack up the other side. The driver tire is the front drive wheel. The passenger front is the spinning wheel.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84