Help picking spark plugs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
For those who have problems with plugs lasting a long time: How do they fail? Eroded electrodes, oil-fouled?

In my experience, Bosch platinum plugs (single electrode) last a long time with GM HEI distributors --either stock or with MSD module & coil. I have no idea why they wouldn't work for any Chevy ignition. I'm currently running basic NGK plugs in a 355 with GM Vortec heads, and they also work fine. And their plated bodies don't rust like AC and Autolite.

Also, it's worth mentioning again that there are different "reach" plugs, which is the length of the threaded portion. Also, either tapered or gaskets seats. Not a problem when using the exact AC plug specified for a stock engine, but can be a problem with aftermarket heads.

As far as the Bosch Platinum plugs go, usually they were a little eroded but looked ok otherwise. The big issue was usually misfire codes causing the engine light to pop on. Sometimes isolated to specific cylinders, but often just the P0300 random multiple misfire code. Many many times, just swapping in a different brand of plug took care of the issue.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
We had the same problem in our shop. Put Bosch in a GM and a week or two later , it's back with CEL on. Went to the proper AC plugs and the problem was gone
As far as the Bosch Platinum plugs go, usually they were a little eroded but looked ok otherwise. The big issue was usually misfire codes causing the engine light to pop on. Sometimes isolated to specific cylinders, but often just the P0300 random multiple misfire code. Many many times, just swapping in a different brand of plug took care of the issue.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
For those who have problems with plugs lasting a long time: How do they fail? Eroded electrodes, oil-fouled?

In my experience, Bosch platinum plugs (single electrode) last a long time with GM HEI distributors --either stock or with MSD module & coil. I have no idea why they wouldn't work for any Chevy ignition. I'm currently running basic NGK plugs in a 355 with GM Vortec heads, and they also work fine. And their plated bodies don't rust like AC and Autolite.

Also, it's worth mentioning again that there are different "reach" plugs, which is the length of the threaded portion. Also, either tapered or gaskets seats. Not a problem when using the exact AC plug specified for a stock engine, but can be a problem with aftermarket heads.
I'll try to answer. At the shop we tend to see vehicles with #1. excessively worn or fouled plugs causing misfires. #2. autolite and bosch plugs, nothing visibly wrong with the plugs just not firing. I have no idea why, just what I've seen.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

I installed Bosch plugs into my Jeep on either the first second tune-up after I bought it '02. It developed a rough running condition that I couldn't track down. Pop said spark plugs. Changed the plugs to Autolite and the rough running condition cleared up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad