Help! Headlight switch getting hot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I bought one last year from LMC. Right now all the electricity has to go from the battery thru your headlight switch and then to the headlights. The new harness then has the power go from your battery directly to the headlights. My switch is much cooler now- and I'm running 100 watt H4 high beams.

The new harness needs to be wired to the + of the battery and then to a nice ground. The OEM connectors that plug into the headlights are disconnected. One of them (*I have a single headlight system, dual would be similar) then gets plugged into the new harness. This provides signals for low beam and high beam to turn on a relay that sends power directly from the battery. Even if I had the stock headlights they would be brighter as there is a voltage drop thru the old OEM wiring and then thru all the connectors and the headlight switch.

Something you might want to consider anyway. $30 at LMC or I've heard there are other places also.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=72

I got a similar harness form Painless wiring for my S-10 and I have loved it ever since I need to get another one for my square or just rob the one off my S-10 since its down for awhile.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Bear in mind that the H/L's are another circuit entirely. They are fed from the battery on the red wire, through the switch and out on the yellow. Looks like your H/L wire out of the switch starts off as blue and then changes to yellow at the Stakon.

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
That's correct. Unfortunately I didn't have any yellow wire. Yeah I also realized last night that the orange wire doesn't feed the headlights. So I still have to repair the orange wire regardless. I already cleaned the ground wire connections. They were pretty corroded and dirty. I'm still working on the switch before I test it all out. I even ordered the Heavy Duty Headlight Harness last night.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Any update?

Posted From Hell

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Now that the grounds is all cleaned up, does the headlight switches wires get quite as hot.
Just curious, if cleaning the grounds would have an affect on how hot the wiring would get.

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
I realized that the crimp on the orange wire was weak so I re-crimped it. The terminal on the orange wire was also loose and was not completely snapped in to the headlight switch connector. The problem seems to be resolved. However I am still monitoring it just in case I'm wrong. But so far, so good. Not sure if cleaning the ground wires would contribute to cooler wiring but it sure didn't hurt to clean them. I also received my heavy duty headlight harness. Can't wait to install it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1