Help! Choke not working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardM86

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hello! This is my first post so I hope this is the right area to post this. Today I was driving in my 86 c20 and it started sputtering and died while driving, and the choke light came on. This happened several times today. I've also been having issues starting it lately. Any ideas on what's wrong with it?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum. The choke light is also like a low oil pressure light. If the key is on and the engine is not running, the choke light is on to remind you to set the choke. If the engine stalls, there is no oil pressure and the light is going to come on.

Your problem may be not enough fuel. Clogged fuel filter, worn out fuel pump. There are many other possibilities, poor spark from the distributor is another possibility from the condition you have described.

RichardM86

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum. The choke light is also like a low oil pressure light. If the key is on and the engine is not running, the choke light is on to remind you to set the choke. If the engine stalls, there is no oil pressure and the light is going to come on.

Your problem may be not enough fuel. Clogged fuel filter, worn out fuel pump. There are many other possibilities, poor spark from the distributor is another possibility from the condition you have described.
I have a mechanical oil pressure gage and it was reading ~30 pounds of oil pressure. Also, after letting it cool down I noticed the choke was still open, and when the gas pedal was pressed in the choke did not move at all. Is this bad?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I would still check for fuel issue and spark first. This is where to start.

You can also check the choke. This would account for a hard start if it does not set when the engine is stone cold. Should have no power to the choke coil before the engine starts. Engine running there should be power in the choke wire. Maybe just a loose connection at the choke or a bad or leaking oil pressure switch.

Have you changed the fuel filter? With the fuel line off to change the filter, you can check the fuel pressure and flow. Check the flow, crank the engine with the line off. Will fill a cup quickly if the flow is good. To check the pressure you need a gauge and the correct 3/8" inverted seat fitting for the gauge. You can use 3/8" hose and clamp also but you will need a way to hook hose to the gauge. Pressure should be 4-7 PSI.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sriddle36