!!!help!!!! 96 Silverado power steering hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The girlfriends truck sprung a leak in one of the lines a week or so ago, now I found it, but it runs up through the frame rail, the guys at O'Reillys weren't much help on which hose it was that was leaking, I need to get this fixed asap, can I cut the line and put in a rubber hose and clamps and it seal for the 1/2" it will span or will it just bust?

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I haven't had any experience with power steering hoses. If that line you are describing is under pressure then your fix will not hold up. In any event since it is leaking it will have to be replaced. Also I think those lines have preformed ends that are crimped too. I don't think I would try to cut the line and splice in a piece of hose. You might get away with trying something like that on a heater hose but I really wouldn't try it on a power steering hose.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well it will only be holding the two pieces together with less than a 1/4" gap, plus I have high pressure injector line to try on it

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
not worth putting your girls safety at risk. ..

Sent from the dust in front of you!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Its probably okay as a quick fix, but as far as OReilly knowing anything about auto parts...yeah...no suprise there. Those guys are a waste of time. Better off going to Napa, or even a salvage yard fwiw. I gave up on OReilly. Those ass clowns don't have a clue.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Only reason I do is its 5 feet from my apartment door
Other than that I can't afford the 40$ hose

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The girlfriends truck sprung a leak in one of the lines a week or so ago, now I found it, but it runs up through the frame rail, the guys at O'Reillys weren't much help on which hose it was that was leaking, I need to get this fixed asap, can I cut the line and put in a rubber hose and clamps and it seal for the 1/2" it will span or will it just bust?

So you're wanting to know if you can splice the hose right? If you must, you will be able to do that on the low pressure side but doubtful on the high pressure side. What is the reason for not just replacing the complete hose? Is it that hard to fish through the frame rail? Maybe one of the GMT400 guys will know more about it. @Old77 @RetroC10Sport @Irishman999 has one and they'll know who else does too. I know of at least one more and can't think of his ID.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Its spliced and holding @HotRodPC
And the reason being its just not in the budget to get a new one

Good deal. Yeah, if it's the low pressure side you can certainly get by with splicing. Pressure side, I'd have my doubts, but I'd imagine it can be done if done right.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I believe its the low side, if it was high side I'd get a compression fitting and metal line, we turned it lock to lock quite a few times and held it for a good minute and it wasn't leaking, and being it was rusted through high side would have sprayed everywhere rather than dripping out right?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I believe its the low side, if it was high side I'd get a compression fitting and metal line, we turned it lock to lock quite a few times and held it for a good minute and it wasn't leaking, and being it was rusted through high side would have sprayed everywhere rather than dripping out right?

You're right. If it was the high side it would have been spraying out of the hole making a huge mess everywhere. Sounds like you've got a good band aid on it for now. It could last a long time that way since it's the low side which is pretty much just a return line.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Been over a month and band aid is still on [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Glad to hear it worked out for ya. A little backyard engineering comes in handy from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod