Hello, new to the site, gathering info on GMC sierra classic v1500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Nope, Chevy all the way. In all the cars I have owned only 2 out of more than 30 or so have NOT been Chevy. One was a 66 GTO(bad mistake for selling) and the other was a 2003 GMC Yukon. Early mopars were a bitch to keep straight on the road and not because of power, never was a fan of torsion bar suspension. Hard to drive even with radial tires. Just my experience and my opinion...........IF, and this is NOT possible, I had to have one it would be either a 70 Cuda or a 69 GTX, but at this stage of MY game, this ain't gonna happen

More experience with Dodge trucks than anything, so cant comment on the torsion bars.

OTHER THAN the wifes 01 Ranger has them and I cant say I have noticed any steering issues.

It has rack and pinion, though, and is not a unibody so maybe those 2 things have an impact.

The interior of a 69 Charger is beautiful, and the back seat is huge.

One of my favorite cars.

Of course, 69, like 57, was one of those years were almost every car made had classic styling.

:)

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
There is some excellent mechanics on this forum who do the work as a professional everyday and are more than willing to share their knowledge. So ask away and show pictures, we love pictures on this forum. The more the better! So what's the first thing that ya'll need help with?
A fresh truck picture after the last snow.

Is this rusted out access panel a common issue? Does anyone sell replacements or should I just make them? I could make them out of aluminum so they don't rust.

Attachments

• 20220106_143009.jpg
    20220106_143009.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220106_143034.jpg
    20220106_143034.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thought I would post a couple pictures to show my restoration work and the level of work I do, or the level of OCD that makes me want to do the best work I can, so when I'm done and take a step back to admire my work, I can be proud of my eye for detail. I do everything myself because it is so hard to find mechanics that will do custom work that I can afford.

Hoping to do some fun restoration work on my son's truck this summer.

Attachments

• Engine comp before (5).jpg
    Engine comp before (5).jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Suspension clean up (1).jpg
    Suspension clean up (1).jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Engine comp clean up and paint (7).jpg
    Engine comp clean up and paint (7).jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Suspension clean up (0).jpg
    Suspension clean up (0).jpg
    165 KB · Views: 53
  • Suspension clean up (3).jpg
    Suspension clean up (3).jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I would like to post a couple of videos to help site members with electrical issue on their trucks, but I don't know where to put them. Who do I contact to ask about this?

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
This is a high end project I did for one of my clients. I normally do home installations, home theater, internet/wifi, phone systems, multi room audio. Been working for this family for over ten years before he asked me to correct all the satellite tv and audio issues on his motor home. Then he started asking me to help with metal fabrication work on different projects. I helped with modifying rock sliders with pop out steps to fit on the jeep to work with the existing fenders and did all the electrical wiring for the automatic steps.
The jeep is tall and the wife is on the short side. After he had the conversion done to add the corvette motor and trans with a second computer to the rock crawler jeep I was tasked with trouble shooting the left over electrical issues with no map or diagram of the changes the mechanics made to his wiring. All I had to work with was logic, a test light and the original wiring diagram for the jeep before it was modified. It was a challenge, took 10 hours just to figure out how to get the air conditioning to work again.

Apparently when one of these conversions are done the original computer is still needed to control the dash, gauges, interior lighting, etc. But it also needs a second computer to control the engine and trans. It's a challenge to move sensors from one computer to the other and make everything work as if everything is normal.

The mechanics that worked on it before the conversion did a lot of electrical additions, adding some of the aftermarket relay and wiring systems. They didn't bother adjusting the length of the wires and instead just waded them up and tie wrapped them under the hood, I had to clean up that mess too.

Attachments

• 20210727_173622.jpg
    20210727_173622.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210727_173724.jpg
    20210727_173724.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210827_111628.jpg
    20210827_111628.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'm fortunate to get to work on different types of projects.

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Is this rusted out access panel a common issue? Does anyone sell replacements or should I just make them? I could make them out of aluminum so they don't rust.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is part of the inner fender, welded from the factory to add support to where the whole front end bolts to the cab. One of GM's design flaws.

So yes you could make your own part, but removing the bolts does not release what is left showing now. You would need to grind it away.

A new inner fender is the best fix.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
You must be registered for see images attach

This is part of the inner fender, welded from the factory to add support to where the whole front end bolts to the cab. One of GM's design flaws.

So yes you could make your own part, but removing the bolts does not release what is left showing now. You would need to grind it away.

A new inner fender is the best fix.
So, If I buy a new inner fender it will have that piece attached? My first guess was an access panel, but there was nothing behind it of interest. Thank you for solving the mystery.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
So, If I buy a new inner fender it will have that piece attached? My first guess was an access panel, but there was nothing behind it of interest. Thank you for solving the mystery.
Personally, I have only bought factory replacement inner fenders. They do have the piece spot welded. I do not know if aftermarket have the extra support piece welded.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
There is some excellent mechanics on this forum who do the work as a professional everyday and are more than willing to share their knowledge. So ask away and show pictures, we love pictures on this forum. The more the better! So what's the first thing that ya'll need help with?
And Military born mechanics that will also help. I agree lots of excellent info on this forum! Welcome retired USAF F-16 mechanic

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
A fresh truck picture after the last snow.

That piece is on all, my 73 has them and I replaced the passenger side this year and it has it. Just get a new one, you have a issue with moisture not being let out at the bottom well below that piece. You'll figure it out when you remove it.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
That piece is on all, my 73 has them and I replaced the passenger side this year and it has it. Just get a new one, you have a issue with moisture not being let out at the bottom well below that piece. You'll figure it out when you remove it.
One of the previous owners really really like to play in the mud, I think I might get the mirror and flash light and take a look inside. I thought if was odd that the piece would be so far gone, but the much thinner metal around it only have surface rust.

Passenger side looks just as rusted.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Your question was brought up before and I posted pictures of both my wheel tubs driver side original and the new one. That piece as far as I know is not replaceable. I assume its a engineering add for some reason.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
...... I thought if was odd that the piece would be so far gone, but the much thinner metal around it only have surface rust.
Yes, because the metal was spot welded with no paint on the inside of the 2 pieces.
Your question was brought up before and I posted pictures of both my wheel tubs driver side original and the new one. That piece as far as I know is not replaceable. I assume its a engineering add for some reason.

Yes to make the mounting bolt area to the cab a stronger area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito